Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Currency converter

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Angela C Member Since: Oct 7, 2011
1 of 7
It would be helpful if when a job is posted that there is a drop down menu to convert this to different currencies and not just dollars. As you are worldwide provider not everyone's currency is the same.
Highlighted
Ardhan M Member Since: Feb 12, 2012
2 of 7
That was a good idea
Highlighted
Willem R Member Since: May 12, 2016
3 of 7

I agree. Actually better currency controls in general would be good. 

For instance, I am Ausralian, hiring someone in Mexico, but I have to pay at an agreed USD rate. 

This means that both of us are at risk. I dont know how much he is going to cost in 2 months because the value fluctuates significantly. And if the peso goes up, he makes less. 

The option to agree to a rate in ANY currency would be ideal. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
4 of 7

@Angela C wrote:
It would be helpful if when a job is posted that there is a drop down menu to convert this to different currencies and not just dollars. As you are worldwide provider not everyone's currency is the same.

I'm opposed to this idea. I've seen it on another site and all of a sudden you have to quote in INR and lots of other currencies. Using a single currency makes it a lot simpler for everyone. 

Highlighted
Orlando P Member Since: Jul 10, 2016
5 of 7

I have the problem i agree to pay a certain amount of € to my freelancer. Due to no possibility to see conversion rate, i'm forced to guess what it would be.

So last time i paied 15$ too much, next time maybe i will pay less and freelancer is not amused. This is no professional way.

So it would highly appreciate a function that enables at least the most common currencies such as €, $ and few others or at least shows a conversation rate, so i don't need to make trial and error with my and the freelancers money.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
6 of 7

@Orlando P wrote:

I have the problem i agree to pay a certain amount of € to my freelancer. Due to no possibility to see conversion rate, i'm forced to guess what it would be.

So last time i paied 15$ too much, next time maybe i will pay less and freelancer is not amused. This is no professional way.

So it would highly appreciate a function that enables at least the most common currencies such as €, $ and few others or at least shows a conversation rate, so i don't need to make trial and error with my and the freelancers money.

Orlando,

The solution to your problem is pretty simple. Like everybody else you should agree on a dollar amount with your freelancer. That's the professional way to do it. Upwork runs on US$.

As you may have noticed with the Brexit conversion rates  can change extremely quickly, within hours. Whom do you expect to bear the risk if a conversion rate calculator is included?

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
7 of 7

Hi Orlando,

While you can be charged in other currencies, all payments on Upwork are processed in US dollars. The amount you enter when posting a job or paying a bonus is the amount freelancer will receive and you will be billed for.

Please consider agreeing on the rate in US dollars with your freelancer in order to avoid any payment discrepancies.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS