🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Customer sent a Calendly link
Page options
607d5dd1
Community Member

Customer sent a Calendly link

Hi everyone! 

I'm a new freelancer here and I've just received a response to a proposal from a client that has forwarded me a Calendly link to book a meeting. Previously in my proposal, I had suggested we get on a Zoom call on the Upwork platform so I assume they just want to use the 3rd party app to schedule a time. 

I would have thought this was okay but after clicking the link, it required me to enter an email - which I refused. So I went ahead and looked at the clients availability and closed the link to proceed with messaging them directly. 

I'm still not yet sure how the client will respond, but I'd rather be clear with Upwork than land a gig - as hard as it is to come by. 

So my question is, what's the deal with Calendly? It looks like a gray zone as far as the Reddit community is concerned and I couldn't find much else on the Upwork boards. 

4 REPLIES 4
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Sallar,

I'm not sure if you meant that you're concerned about the way that Calendly works or something else.
However, I would like to clarify that you and your clients are free to use a scheduling tool that does not require the sharing of contact information. You may also use Upwork Messages to discuss and set up an interview. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Goran V wrote:

However, I would like to clarify that you and your clients are free to use a scheduling tool that does not require the sharing of contact information. 

Calendly requires an email address and it has been confirmed several times in that mammoth thread over in Announcements that it's not allowed.

All the "exceptions to the rules" make it impossible for anyone to really know what is and isn't allowed. Those of us who stick to the rules lose out, those who don't end up getting hired.

It's allowed to give the client an e-mail address to allow a NDA to be signed or to grant access to materials to check scope, but not to set up a meeting? It's now allowed to give the client websites or github or portfolio pages with a contact button so clients can easily reach out directly, but we can't arrange an interview to be held on Upwork via calendly.

That's really nuts.

Petra R wrote:

Goran V wrote:

However, I would like to clarify that you and your clients are free to use a scheduling tool that does not require the sharing of contact information. 

Calendly requires an email address and it has been confirmed several times in that mammoth thread over in Announcements that it's not allowed.

All the "exceptions to the rules" make it impossible for anyone to really know what is and isn't allowed. Those of us who stick to the rules lose out, those who don't end up getting hired.

It's allowed to give the client an e-mail address to allow a NDA to be signed or to grant access to materials to check scope, but not to set up a meeting? It's now allowed to give the client websites or github or portfolio pages with a contact button so clients can easily reach out directly, but we can't arrange an interview to be held on Upwork via calendly.

That's really nuts.

Really nuts. Indefensibly nutty. Upwork, seriously, hasn't this gone far enough?

a_lipsey
Community Member

Sallar R wrote:

Hi everyone! 

I'm a new freelancer here and I've just received a response to a proposal from a client that has forwarded me a Calendly link to book a meeting. Previously in my proposal, I had suggested we get on a Zoom call on the Upwork platform so I assume they just want to use the 3rd party app to schedule a time. 

I would have thought this was okay but after clicking the link, it required me to enter an email - which I refused. So I went ahead and looked at the clients availability and closed the link to proceed with messaging them directly. 

I'm still not yet sure how the client will respond, but I'd rather be clear with Upwork than land a gig - as hard as it is to come by. 

So my question is, what's the deal with Calendly? It looks like a gray zone as far as the Reddit community is concerned and I couldn't find much else on the Upwork boards. 

The Reddit community isn't gray on this either. If you posted there, they'd post the links to here that confirm no Calendly use is permitted. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members