jenica_marco

Data Entry Job

I had this job where there is an offer and a contract. The job she assigned to me was data entry job. It was just a simple job but quite long. I already finished working with it but after I send the document I made, she didn't respond with my messages. How will I know if the client will pay me for the job i had done? What should I do?
17 REPLIES 17
asajid

Hi Marie, The client could be busy, so I suggest you wait at least a week before turning to Support. In the meantime, on Monday or Tuesday, leave them a polite message asking them if they were satisfied with the work and if so when you can expect the payment. It was Halloween so they just might be busy with family or other matters. If you still don't hear back after a week, please report to Customer Support for non-payment. While fixed price contracts are not guaranteed, non-paying clients are monitored for future activity. In the future consider asking for a combination of upfront and milestone payments to minimize risk of non-payment. I sincerely hope you hear back from the client soon.
oDesk Forum Moderator Always reach for the skies, for even if you fall, you'll still be on the top of the world...
jenica_marco

Ok. Thank you for helping me on this one. I hope the client will respond to me very soon and pay me. Thanks again.

You're welcome, Marie!
oDesk Forum Moderator Always reach for the skies, for even if you fall, you'll still be on the top of the world...

how i work plz tell me

Same case with marie... Because Im new here at odesk I wanted to have a feedback first so I accepted his offer 2$ only for data entry of email collections. For 2 days I finished it even it was easy but too many. At first we had a good communications, but after I sent the files no more reply on skype. But still the contract is open. really sad for me but I think you have to considered and experienced all of this things to learn as a freelancer here at odesk. what do you think? Is he has the plan not to pay me for just 2$ and not give me the feedback that he offered? Do I need to wait for him to reply??? give me some ideas pls... thanks

If he doesn't pay you anything, he can't leave you feedback.

That a client expects to get such a job done for 2 measly dollars is ridiculous to begin with. Skipping out on the $2? What the heck? It truly boggles the mind.
bronnyslav

Had something of a similar case. Only difference is, that client paid agreed amount on fixed price job and then disappeared without closing contract and leaving any feedback. No word from him for more than a month. I have no worries about money, it's just slightly unpleasant that I still have zero feedback on one of my specializations. By the way, client appeared to be really nice person and I don't hold anything against him.

Hi Everyone.

I am newbie at Odesk (Since last week) I applied for different jobs after completing my profile & taking tests. almost three days before I got a message where the client congratulated me that I have been selected for his project, (As per job post he wanted someone for data entry) he in the same message he provided me Login & Password with a link & asked me to do Captcha entry. He himself offered 350$ per week for 5000 captcha enteries in 7days. Minimum he rquired 3000 entries to get paid for but the link provided was very slow & was showing captcha or images per day hardly 100, I started working but just after few hours I realised that the said task is impossible to be done with 100 or 120 entries per day, I sent him 3 different messages but got no response yet after three days passed.

Yesterday 19 January I got the same job from another client but this the software is responding fast... Now I want you guys to please addvice me....

1. Both the clients have joined Odesk same day they offered me the job

Do you think they are reliable?

2. Although they said to pay be for per hour but at the same they asked me to work 5hrs. per day for a week to get paid.

Should I continue working & wait to see after a week?

3. The second employer has also not answering any query

Is n't it seem to be fake or fraud?

I am confused not getting what todo please help.

Regards

@Alexander

Unfortunately it's quite common for clients to walk away without paying without closing the contract. I think a lot of them are just running around like headless chickens and once the job is done they forget about it, and maybe don't go near oDesk again until they need another job done. Also I'm told that rthe client interface is quite confusling and it's not as simple as you would think to close a job.

Send therm the occasional polite message in the hope that they'll look back at the site one day - but that's about all you can do

@Shabina

Walk away -  it is a common scam on oDesk. It will always be there because they just keep opening new accounts as quickly as they're closed. They prey on newbies desparate for their first job. A few reasons to walk away:

a) you'll never get paid

b) captcha work if not illegal is certainly immoral

c) it breaches oDesk guidlines as by working outside oDesk you could be kicked off the site before you've even started.

Well done to you for smelling a rat. Ignore these ones and keep your radar on full. Hang on in there for a proper job - it takes a while at the start.

@Shabina A wrote:

Hi Everyone.

I am newbie at Odesk (Since last week) I applied for different jobs after completing my profile & taking tests. almost three days before I got a message where the client congratulated me that I have been selected for his project, (As per job post he wanted someone for data entry) he in the same message he provided me Login & Password with a link & asked me to do Captcha entry. He himself offered 350$ per week for 5000 captcha enteries in 7days. Minimum he rquired 3000 entries to get paid for but the link provided was very slow & was showing captcha or images per day hardly 100, I started working but just after few hours I realised that the said task is impossible to be done with 100 or 120 entries per day, I sent him 3 different messages but got no response yet after three days passed.

Yesterday 19 January I got the same job from another client but this the software is responding fast... Now I want you guys to please addvice me....

1. Both the clients have joined Odesk same day they offered me the job

Do you think they are reliable?

2. Although they said to pay be for per hour but at the same they asked me to work 5hrs. per day for a week to get paid.

Should I continue working & wait to see after a week?

3. The second employer has also not answering any query

Is n't it seem to be fake or fraud?

I am confused not getting what todo please help.

Regards

Shabina,

Catcha jobs are against the ToS, please report the client to Customer Support and flag the job post as well. 

This is fake and fraud. I fell for the same job, it is impossible and there is no payment. There were three people who sent me exact same message with exact same job and when you accept, they dissapear.  These capthas are used to hack other sites. So be careful and don't do this work.

mahadi_du

Its vey sad Smiley Sad to know that many of you are facing problems with payments. Hopefully you all will be paid soon. At least you now have the experience and learned something. Its the cost of gaining experience. Since oDesk is going to apply Escrew protection, hopefully this problem wouldn't happen in the future. Best of luck.

If you submit the work for approval, the funds should be automatically given to you after 14 days, right? Or has this changed?

Edit: tried both and it's still there unfortunately... 😞

ehsaan71007

hey 2 Alls i am  Ehsaan Ali from pakistan and want to know about data entry done work 

and 3 years  experience in computer skills or data entry but new user upwork don,t know about that 

please add me poples in upwork team 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

@ehsaan A wrote:

hey 2 Alls i am  Ehsaan Ali from pakistan and want to know about data entry done work 

and 3 years  experience in computer skills or data entry but new user upwork don,t know about that 

please add me poples in upwork team 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

First you are breaking all kinds of TOS rules so you need to read those thoroughly.  You profile the way it sits can be suspended.  You can't add any links that gives your contact information and you can't add any skype IDs.  Also you can't put your info on this post.  Data entry is very competitive as millions of people can do it. So finding work in that area is going to be almost impossible if you don't improve your profile and tell the client what you have to offer.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

Ehsaan,

If you are interested in doing data entry work on Upwork...

...then you should instead spend your time visiting all the local shops and businesses in your community and seeing if anybody is hiring for entry-level jobs.