cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Entry Scams on oDesk for Newbies- Beware!!!

Highlighted
Nino N Member Since: Apr 3, 2015
1 of 11

I have applied for a Data entry position posted in oDesk, although I was a bit skeptical because the employer is not yet payment verified, still I decided to apply for the project.

A day after, I received a message with a lengthy reply instructed me to do this and that In his reply it said that I am already a part of his team but i was wondering how so, I was not even interviewed yet so I decided to search the internet for this kind of job just before actually doing as instructed and I found out it was a CAPTCHA project.

**edited for Community Guidelines**

I found out that there were a couple of Newbie freelancers here on oDesk have been a victim with this modus. 

There was not even a response that says "I'm going to send the contract on here and you need to respond ASAP so that the project will commence" or anything about the project over oDesk... 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
2 of 11

Yep, you shouldn't start working until their payment method has been verified and you've received an official contract.

You can flag the job.

Highlighted
3 of 11

Yep I already flagged the job and have withdrawn my application... I also sent a ticket to C.S but is there a chance that my Connects will be credit back? 

Thanks

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 11

Hi Nino,

Thank you very much for reporting this job posting. It will be reviewed by the oDesk Team and once it is taken down, you will have the connects you used to apply for the job refunded to you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
5 of 11

i received again a message from the other data entry that i applied with...

**edited for Community Guidelines**

I was thinking that this was a legit one because of the description but i received a message with almost the same content as my initial post...

This is really annoying... specially now that I am losing ConnectsSmiley Sad

Highlighted
Community Guru
Sanja D Member Since: Dec 18, 2013
6 of 11
Just flag the job. it will be taken down by Upwork, and you will get your connects back ;-)
Highlighted
Richard P Member Since: May 22, 2015
7 of 11

Thanks for sharing you just me time and effort.. Smiley Happy Nice Job!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 11
Whenever you receive lengthy instructions and are told you're already part of a team, that's probably a scam... Especially when you really haven't talked to anybody.
Highlighted
Aysen A Member Since: Aug 2, 2015
9 of 11

Hi! I landed this Job too! And I'm totally stupid that I worked hard everyday in 7 days for 5 hours just to complete the 35 hours of work contract. Too bad for a newbie like me! At first, I was kinda' hesitant but in my second thought, Upwork is legit... so do their employers then I gave it a try. After finishing the 35 hours contract, I contacted the employer, his name is **edited for Community Guidelines** but, sad to say... I got no response. I waited for 1-2 days, but still no replies. Then upon checking my upwork account, I remembered I applied to another data enry job and here's another employer hiring me and his name is **edited for Community Guidelines** and guess what? The job details and the Captcha encoding website are almost the same with the first one I received. Now, I realize it was really a BIG SCAM. Such a waste time and effort Plus, I received NOTHING.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
10 of 11

Hi Aysen,

I am sorry to hear you did the work and didn't get paid for it. Please, report the clients to Customer Support and make sure you have an active contract under your My Jobs tab before you start doing any work. If you log time properly using the Team App, you will be paid automatically.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS