Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deadline for Leaving Feedback

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
1 of 9

I know feedback should be left by both client and freelancers within 14 calendar days of a project's completion and closing.

I don't always leave feedback immediately, especially if a client continues to ask me questions or needs little things done after a project is complete - it is in the nature of my type of work that a few loose ends can need tying up and I am usually paid well enough not to care if I need to spend some time post-completion making a good client happy.

How is the 14-day deadline calculated - literally at the same time of day (Greenwich Mean Time) 14 days later or midnight GMT on the 14th day later?

cylver1z
Community Guru
Ryan C Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
2 of 9

Hi Will,

The feedback period is 14 days from the end of a contract regardless of time zones.

Untitled
yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 9

Will, I see quite a few jobs in your work history with no feeback given by the client -- is that perhaps because you neglected to leave feedback yourself? Regardless, if the window is 14 days, it seems best not to wait until the 14th day, in case something unexpected comes up, like a site outage or internet outage for instance, that would prevent you from leaving last minute feedback.

Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 9

Whenever I get a client to close a job, I typically leave feedback within a minute or two. I don't wait 14 days because I'm eager to see her feedback to me, and there's no way to see the client's feedback unless I leave mine (or wait 14 days).

Same thing when I hire freelancers. Feedback given to clients is not as important, but I still am eager to see the feedback freelancers leave me.

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
5 of 9

Why would whether I leave feedback for a client affect whether that client leaves feedback for me?

In fact, I usually leave positive feedback pretty quickly - I know what to expect from my good clients' post-project requests for minor changes, etc. The lousy clients I leave myself more time for me to ruminate on how I should rate them.

Either way, I try to always leave feedback. I think other freelancers should know which clients are stellar and which (blessedly few) are bums.

Unfortunately, many of my clients don't ever leave feedback. I think it is the nature of criticism for people to be more vocal when they are happy with service than when they are unhappy, but Upwork does nothing I'm aware of to penalize clients for not leaving feedback. It's only us freelancers who are dinged for not leaving feedback ourselves or, the silliest part of all, letting lack of feedback from clients affect freelancers' Job Success Scores.

I can't say why and have no idea how different my expeience in this regards is compared to the average other freelancers on Upwork. I ask clients at least twice to leave feedback, sometimes three times. Beyond that, I see no reason to annoy them with continued requests they will never, in my experience, respond to.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 9

I rarely ask clients to leave feedback. I rarely mention feedback at all. I work hard to get clients to close contracts.

Thst way they are forced to leave feedback.

I definitely ask clients to close contracts when It seems that no more work is needed by me. Otherwise, I try to make sure that I regularly work on the project, so that it is billed and doesn't get paused.

If a client wants to pause work on a project, I encourage them to close the contract and open a new contract when they have new work for me.

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
7 of 9

I can't recall ever asking a client for feedback. If they close the contract, then, as I understand it, they have to leave some kind of feedback. 

I'm not even sure I've asked a client to close a contract. I know I haven't recently. If the contract is left open longer than a few weeks after the project ends, I close it. I make an exception for a few clients who tend to have large breaks between assignments for me -- I leave those contracts open. 

I don't know that my choices represent best practices, but I am a bit of a rebel when it comes to doing things someone else's way. Woman Wink

A lot of these closure and feedback issues become much less significant once a freelancer has a long work history with several contracts on Upwork. Each individual contract's outcome carries less weight, particularly when being used to identify "patterns" of no feedback, etc. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
8 of 9

@Will L wrote:

Why would whether I leave feedback for a client affect whether that client leaves feedback for me?

It doesn't. But, if you haven't left feedback for the client, then the feedback the client left you won't show up until the 14 days has expired.

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
9 of 9

OK. 14 days. Got it.

But is the deadline always 11:59 PM UTC/Greenwich Mean Time on the 14th day?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS