Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Dealing w/ unresponsive client on fixed price contract

staylorphoto
Active Member
Stephen T Member Since: Jul 19, 2020
1 of 4

Hello everybody,

 

Was hoping for a bit of advice here. A couple months ago, I started a fixed price project to design a logo and then create a pitch deck incorporating that new logo. This was all a single milestone. (In retrospect, I should have made it 2 milestones, but nothing I can do about that now)

 

I created a handful of logo designs, the client said "we like design X, can you tweak it a bit?" and so I did, and sent over a couple of revised versions for his approval, hoping to move onto designing the deck. This was over a month ago. Since then, I've messaged him a couple of times (politely, of course) saying essentially "did you review the updated designs? would love to move onto the deck" and the reponse was "we're reviewing it, we'll let you know."

 

It would be one thing if he had said "not happy with it...please change it," but it's simply an issue of "we'll let you know." I can't finish this project until the client gives me an approval and sends the details for the next step, i.e. the copy and numbers for the deck. What do I do? Can I request partial payment? I know I can manually adjust the dollar amount when I request payment for the milestone. Perhaps request 50% of the agreed-upon price? Thoughts?

 

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to adequately explain my situation. 

a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
2 of 4

Stephen T wrote:

Hello everybody,

 

Was hoping for a bit of advice here. A couple months ago, I started a fixed price project to design a logo and then create a pitch deck incorporating that new logo. This was all a single milestone. (In retrospect, I should have made it 2 milestones, but nothing I can do about that now)

 

I created a handful of logo designs, the client said "we like design X, can you tweak it a bit?" and so I did, and sent over a couple of revised versions for his approval, hoping to move onto designing the deck. This was over a month ago. Since then, I've messaged him a couple of times (politely, of course) saying essentially "did you review the updated designs? would love to move onto the deck" and the reponse was "we're reviewing it, we'll let you know."

 

It would be one thing if he had said "not happy with it...please change it," but it's simply an issue of "we'll let you know." I can't finish this project until the client gives me an approval and sends the details for the next step, i.e. the copy and numbers for the deck. What do I do? Can I request partial payment? I know I can manually adjust the dollar amount when I request payment for the milestone. Perhaps request 50% of the agreed-upon price? Thoughts?

 

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to adequately explain my situation. 


You can submit the work for payment and only request a portion of the milestone released, for the work done on the logo. It will be released automatically after 14 days. 

kinector
Community Guru
Mikko R Member Since: Dec 26, 2015
3 of 4

Stephen, Amanda's advice is exactly correct.

 

Here I offer mere tactical tips.

 

Since the client requested changes, and as far as I understood, you have accommodated all of them in your submission, there is no basis for adjusting the amount. I suspect it would look strange in the client's eyes in a way that he would view your work as not the best possible. Ask for the full price because you deserve it. The client technically got everything he ever asked for (just haven't confirmed it yet... there could be a thousand reasons for the delay, nothing to worry about). You have done your best!

 

Now, after sending everything over with the Submit Work button, the client has 14 days to review and has a fair chance to ask for another revision.

 

What I'd recommend is:

- submit the work now

- attach a short note saying that you're happy to accommodate changes he might still want during the next 14 days (according to the official process)

- wait and don't message anymore

 

Either you get a request to make that last change or you go home with 100% of the money you were promised. The client won't suffer either as long as you keep an open line of communication.

 

If still not hearing from the client after those 14 days:

- send a polite note saying you're about to close the job in 2 days so you can focus on other work, but happy to start another project for the client any time (this part is important to make him feel he's "covered" even in this case as you are always on your precious client's side, of course)

- after 2 more days, just close the project leaving appropriate feedback (as the client is unlikely to respond, I wouldn't write any feedback description, just tick the stars so the job will look "balanced" in your track record later)

 

So, no problem! You're good to go. 👍

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 4

Mikko R wrote:

Since the client requested changes, and as far as I understood, you have accommodated all of them in your submission, there is no basis for adjusting the amount


The work is not done. Why would he request full payment when only a part of the work has been done?

 


Mikko R wrote:

. Ask for the full price because you deserve it. The client technically got everything he ever asked for (just haven't confirmed it yet...


How so? The client bought a logo and a pitch deck. They got a logo. The pitch deck hasn't been done as it requires input from the client. That was the whole point of Stephen's post and what's behind the idea of requesting partial payment.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS