🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Dealing with Contract Changes and a Not So Gr...
Page options
nickcwilkins
Community Member

Dealing with Contract Changes and a Not So Great Client

I submitted a proposal to what appeared to be a quick job. Wasn't worth much, but also only took me a couple of minutes. A client wanted a style change to an html file attached to the job description. A couple of weird things went down...

1. To land the job in the first place, I downloaded the file and made the change right away. I sent the client a screenshot showing that I fixed it. He said it looked good. He then asked me for the updates  without us being under contract.

2. He then hired me and I sent him the file. He then responded with a link to his live website. He said the file did not work. I immediately thought to myself that this wasn't described in the job description, but I'll help him through it either way.

3. I make a few more changes to a separate template (again, not discussed in the description or in messages before hiring me). I send this back to him. Eventually, the client reveals that they aren't actually using the files themselves, but attempting to insert my code into a separate editor.

4. He says he will not give me access to the site itself to make the changes (I'd be able to fix this in a few minutes that way), and when I ask him to schedule a time that we can work through this live together, he simply stops responding to me.

So this client went from "fix this html file" to "write code to fix a black box." I actually used dev tools to inspect his website and its structure is completely different from the files he's given me. There's no way I could fix this by working off of the files he provided me. I explained this to him and asked for more information. I have really tried to be reasonable despite these changes, but I don't know how to proceed.

I don't care about the money here. I'm far more concerned about maintaining my 100% JSS. Does anyone have some advice for what my next steps should be?

6 REPLIES 6
pudingstudio
Community Member

Nick W wrote:

I submitted a proposal to what appeared to be a quick job. Wasn't worth much, but also only took me a couple of minutes. A client wanted a style change to an html file attached to the job description. A couple of weird things went down...

1. To land the job in the first place, I downloaded the file and made the change right away. I sent the client a screenshot showing that I fixed it. He said it looked good. He then asked me for the updates  without us being under contract.

2. He then hired me and I sent him the file. He then responded with a link to his live website. He said the file did not work. I immediately thought to myself that this wasn't described in the job description, but I'll help him through it either way.

3. I make a few more changes to a separate template (again, not discussed in the description or in messages before hiring me). I send this back to him. Eventually, the client reveals that they aren't actually using the files themselves, but attempting to insert my code into a separate editor.

4. He says he will not give me access to the site itself to make the changes (I'd be able to fix this in a few minutes that way), and when I ask him to schedule a time that we can work through this live together, he simply stops responding to me.

So this client went from "fix this html file" to "write code to fix a black box." I actually used dev tools to inspect his website and its structure is completely different from the files he's given me. There's no way I could fix this by working off of the files he provided me. I explained this to him and asked for more information. I have really tried to be reasonable despite these changes, but I don't know how to proceed.

I don't care about the money here. I'm far more concerned about maintaining my 100% JSS. Does anyone have some advice for what my next steps should be?

There is a valid reasoning behind "Do NOT work before being hired".
It's there to protect you.

In your case, issue you're facing wouldn't exist if you were to converse with your client before accepting the job (so that both of you are positive about deliverables).

You went ahead and skipped steps, client tried to use that. No one ended up being happy with result.

Thanks for your response. However, you are making assumptions here and maybe not understanding the nature of my work.

I downloaded the attachment in the job description and made a 30 second change which I showed in the screenshot. Proving you are capable of the work isn't doing work before hire. If doing even that much qualifies as working before hire, then even looking over attachments at all would seem like working before being hired.

Also, the client confirmed that he wanted changes to the file he sent me and that file only. I was okay with this and agreed, so I accepted the offer.

Then he changed the requirements.

I absolutely did not "skip steps."

Rule of quick upwork jobs: there are none. Each job takes at least 30 mins.

Most clients are not technical. That's why you before taking a 'quick' job, what end result they are imagining - most will require learning the way the project is deployed (and each will be different) making it not worth the price.

In your place, i'd help him finish it. And in the future ignore jobs that are less than half your hourly rate. You'll have a lot of clients wanting you to figure out how things should work. And for the future always ask and confirm what exactly they will accept as a 'completed job'.

re: "Rule of quick upwork jobs: there are none. Each job takes at least 30 mins."

30 minutes seems pretty quick.

If you have any doubts about how "quick" the job will be, then I suggest offering to the client that you will do the job using an hourly contract. That way you can bill for all the time you actually spend.

Thanks this is helpful. I've definitely realized now that some jobs are simply not worth applying to. It just seemed like the requirements were all laid out and then things changed. There's no real hesitation on my part about helping him finish it. I even explained that I'd do the extra work. Choosing the wrong contract or underbidding is totally my fault.

It's just that now he doesn't seem willing to communicate necessary details (most replies were short, hasn't responded at all in the last few days) or give me access to the project. It seems like he somehow wants to try and reimplement the changes himself despite not being a technical client. That is never going to result in a proper fix unless we work together live. I extended an invitation for us to fix this that way as well, and he just ignored it.

So having offered multiple times to work through the problem and now being ignored/stonewalled, I feel kind of stuck. He's not really allowing for a path to completion. That shouldn't be my fault.

That's really the main reason for why I've posted.

It makes sense from his point of view. He's trying make money off of your work.

He's probably trying to use your code through the editor you mentioned to guess his way through all of it.  The problem is (if your still on contract with him) he's going to mess something else up and turn around and demand you to "fix it for him" smh 😞 .

Obviously you learned your lesson but I have to ask, are you even getting paid for waiting for him to respond? Your paid hourly and theres a tracking tool Im aware of, but is he paying you for any of this?  If not I suggest you put your foot down (tactfully).  If he intends to play Tech wizard and string you along (without pay) it's a problem.  If you were a mechanic and a customer came to your shop asked you to fix their truck, would you let him play with your tools, run around on the dangerous shop floor like a liability suit waiting to happen playing "Im a mechanic 🙂 !!" 

Im not berrating you or anything, Im applauding your kindness of spirit to take that extra step to go above and beyond and the standard of service for your client, but theres another reason we charge the client and insist they adhere to the guidelines and standards and big part of that is respect.  Business owners have and want more of it, but it can often cause a bloated ego.. like tumor it can be toxic to those around them.  And that's basically why he's doing this - ego tumors!! 🙂

He thinks "its not so hard, I could do this in my sleep! :)"

And basically the only solution is to let him, I recommend you cut this one lose. take the hit on your JSS or see if UpWork can step in and do something, but at this point the guy is toxic or worst manipulative and clearly using your good will against you.  The other option is to (as I mentioned earlier), tactfully put your foot down and let him know that you were hired to do a job and you are more than willing to help, but he needs to allow you to do so... if you can get a hold of him.

Your a very capable person with a big heart but your skill set matters your time and energy matters and right now he's taking an aweful lot of it and may not be paying you for much.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members