iiholly

Dealing with Harassment?

Quotes client sent me: 

"where do you live in New Orleans?

I'm guessing its in a 20 mile radius *work address on linked in* "

"Hollyhascode it looks like *employer* & *employer* are only a few miles apart. It looks like a nice area. Do you have a family?"

"You don't know what threatening is yet hollyhascode, we will soon find out how much you are willing to endure to steal money that isn't yours"

What can I do about this type of behavior? After filing a dispute, since the client didn't pay me for work, he was mad (understandably since thinks he's in the right), but I didn't expect him to physically threaten my well-being. I don't even want to freelance anymore due to this. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I don't agree with the threats, but lets not be over dramatic. The dude probably is in some other country with no money to even get a plane ticket or hire someone. Just laugh at it and move on.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
yitwail

Holly, that's totally unacceptable. I expect moderators to reply here or message you, but in case they don't, report this client to support if you haven't already. I hope the dispute is settled in your favor.

lol what a loser. I dunno what it is about people that when they dispute money they immediately go for the threats. Mine tried to threaten me too (not like that) and bully me but I just kept it clean and told the dispute person what I wanted.

That client is an idiot and I'd be all "come at me br0 I've got a bang bang that will take care of you" but of course you can't do that on Upwork.

People talk a lot of trash on the internet. Don't let it get to you.

colettelewis

People do talk trash, and one should be able to ignore, but this sort of not-so subliminal threat is scary and unacceptable.  However experienced a freelancer is, this sort of threat can have an effect and Upwork needs to take a much, much stronger line on some "clients".

Even more scary and unacceptable, is that there has been no official comment on this thread.

When I told one of those Google scamsters i was going to report him, he came back and graphically told me what I could do with myself. Despite that totally ineffective "hide" button, I could not get rid of this delightful "client". Upwork did eventually remove this scammer from my pages, but only after I continued to make a huge fuss about it.

These people should be banned from the site and expunged from message rooms.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Holly,

I'm sorry you had to deal with this. I'm following up with the team about your report. Thanks for providing more information in the ticket.

~ Valeria
Upwork
iiholly

Solution from Upwork: 

A warning. Oh good. I'm glad someone potentially stalking and murdering me is taken with the same severity as a child acting out. Actually, at least a child may actually be given a time out. What a world!

Oh well! We all know these sites tend not to side with the freelancers. 

Holly, in this situation and if the threats are serious enough, you may want to go see the cops. They can get this client's details from Upwork and do more than issue a warning.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

I'm going to do so during my lunch break. This guy has typed out pages and pages of crazy stuff on the dispute. He has done it more or less non-stop since I filed the dispute yesterday, so I really don't know what level of crazy he is on. I've also informed my employer and landlord to call police if they see anyone unusual who is asking for me. 

I don't agree with the threats, but lets not be over dramatic. The dude probably is in some other country with no money to even get a plane ticket or hire someone. Just laugh at it and move on.

Hi Holly,

I checked and the team has followed the internal procedures that apply in such situations. We won't be able to share details about those procedures and actions that are taken against other accounts.

~ Valeria
Upwork

No offense, but what is even the point of having HR if you all can't protect people? I know you won't answer off script, but it is disappointing to me that UpWork doesn't take this type of thing very seriously. What is scary is that is sounds like it happens often, so maybe you can't squash out all of the cases. 

I'm guessing though your HR is more PR than anything. It is unfortunate but understandable. Freelancing culture is tough.

lol HR wat?

@Holly W wrote:

No offense, but what is even the point of having HR if you all can't protect people? I know you won't answer off script, but it is disappointing to me that UpWork doesn't take this type of thing very seriously. What is scary is that is sounds like it happens often, so maybe you can't squash out all of the cases. 

I'm guessing though your HR is more PR than anything. It is unfortunate but understandable. Freelancing culture is tough.

They're not a human resources department - they don't do any hiring or firing. They manage a PaaS. 

Yes, navigating the world of online freelancing, in particular, is a quick schooling of hard knocks and kicks to the rear end. 

In three years, I've never seen an instance yet where Upwork sided with the freelancer over a client. I got into an argument with a client today about his unfair behaviour, and I know the only reason I didn't get into trouble was because he didn't report me. This is simply the nature of online work: no decency, no accountability.

I've honestly never gotten into an argument with a client over the years on UpWork. I've only had one client stiff me when I first started.  Most people I deal with are decent even if it turns out they don't like the work I produce which sometimes happens.

Anytime there has been a thing where they didn't like my work or whatever, I generally just let it go. This case it seemed the right thing to at least file a dispute, because he took advantage of my time and misled me into believing he'd let me finish off the work. I wouldn't even mind if I lose the dispute, but I just wanted to show him you can't just go around stiffing people without ANY inconvenience. That's not cool.

kat303

Holly, Although Upwork will suspend this client I think you should take this one step further. IMO you should take a hard copy of these threats to the local police. This client has gone further then this site, They have taken the trouble to find your address, and google to find out where in relation they are to you.

I sure hope, with threats like this that Upwork can release the real name, address or whatever information they may have on this person to you. I don't want to frighten you, but in this day and age, where you read about mass shootings you can't take any threat lightly. You have No idea what anyone is capable of. You don't know this persons mental stability and even if the amount of money was $20, you don't know how it will affect him.

Again, IMO this, since they have your address, this is a matter that the local police needs to look into.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Will be closing this thread from further replies as we can't share further details about the case here.

Holly, the dispute team will be assisting you with the case directly.

~ Valeria
Upwork