🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Dealing with bad reviews
Page options
ghosh_sajal_kant
Community Member

Dealing with bad reviews

Hello Community members
Hope all of you are doing well !!

I just got a bad review because I just denied to work with him, After completing 8 milestone with same client he added one new milestone without my consent and I refuse to work with him as I was busy with some other project and there was a huge gap in milestone 8 and milestone 9.

I need your guidence on this.

Regards
Sajal

15 REPLIES 15
sbilu131521
Community Member

Dear Sajal,
If your client did as you described, then this is actually an act of dishonesty. But bad things happen, you know. Sometimes we have to deal with them, Anyway, if you are a top-rated freelancer, you can use your special perk to remove the bad review from your public profile. But the fact is it will still affect your JSS badly. And you can use this perk once a year. 

But if you are not a top-rated freelancer, then you have nothing to do. Just let it go, try to get more good projects and good reviews. Your bad score will recover soon.

The third option is flagging the client as inappropriate. This is an option I don't want to use personally. You know, a client may do some mischief with one freelancer, but have a great track record with hundreds. This is the rule of life, a man can not make everybody happy. Anyway, please mention clearly why you think the client is inappropriate. And one more thing, before flagging the client, check the client's background (like reviews, hiring rate, etc). Upwork is a platform firstly for clients then freelancers. So, make sure, you do not do any wrong thing.

Hope this helps.
Thanks
Sagar

Thanks Sagar for taking time and explaining in detail.
I agreed with you that Upwork is first for clients and then for freelancers.

I was just upset because he mentioned that freelancer dont care about deadlines then how he continued with 9 milestone and 4 month, he should have ended contract after first milestone, I even requested him to end contract multiple time but he didn't .

Anyway I really appreciate your reply.

Regards
Sajal

Sajal Kanti G wrote:

he should have ended contract after first milestone, I even requested him to end contract multiple time but he didn't .

Why didn't you end it yourself?

It's also interesting how the story on your feedback to the client and in the client's feedback and your response differ from each other and your post here.

Was the 9th milestone to fix a bug in the original work? 

The client has also never left poor feedback to any other freelancers. Straight 5 stars every single time...

Hello Petra
Thanks for your reply.

Yes,  you are correct I should have ended contract but it was my bad that I was failed to analyze this before because I am new in this platform so I was afraid to end contract as per upwork recommendation.

Was the 9th milestone to fix a bug in the original work?  -- no it was not, it was a new task and I denied to do that 

I even offer him to refund the amount he gave me for the particular task which he is complainng  but he want full refund  which is not acceptable as all other work is working fine and live.

Sajal Kanti G wrote:

I even offer him to refund the amount he gave me for the particular task which he is complainng  but he want full refund  which is not acceptable as all other work is working fine and live.

So there is a lot more to it than you first mentioned...

Hello Petra,
Any idea how much my JSS will go down, current JSS is 99% and client gave me 1.40 raring.

Sajal Kanti G wrote:

Any idea how much my JSS will go down, current JSS is 99% and client gave me 1.40 raring.

You won't drop below 90% which is the most important part.

Thanks Petra

Sagar S wrote:

Anyway, if you are a top-rated freelancer, you can use your special perk to remove the bad review from your public profile. But the fact is it will still affect your JSS badly.

No, it won't - if you use the feedback removal perk, it won't affect your JSS score at all. That's the whole point of it.

osd_design
Community Member

Hello Sajal,

in 90% of cases, when you refuse to continue with the client on new contracts, he will give you a bad feedback (public and private) and your JSS score will go down !
Currently I'm in the same situation, only one client caused my JSS score to drop from 91% to 57% ! (I have more than 60 contracts)

it's illegal and illogical !

Hello Marzouki M,
This is really horrible 91 to 57,
I have to wait one more week when I will get my updated JSS

I got my updated jss and it reduced by only 4%, earlier my JSS was 99% and now it is 95%

This is SOOOO messed up.   This algorithmic miscalc is brutal. So what happened, did it eventually get fixed?

Hi Donovan,

Thank you for your post. Yes! We've way surpassed this issue and it was fixed immediately. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Unfortunately no.
I don't think only the algorithmic that acts on the JSS; if the client wants something on upwork, the whole system will be modified to satisfy him !

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths