Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealing with client's wordpress - not going so well

rwestfreelance
Ace Contributor
Rachael B Member Since: Jan 23, 2016
1 of 9

I'm a copywriter, working with a client who has a greenhouse start-up. The job was meant to be pretty simple (and was cheaper because of that). Just help create content for a couple pages and put it up on his wordpress site. The content part will be easy enough as he will be giving me the majority of the content and I'm just synthesizing it all and making it better. However, I've been tinkering around with the Wordpress site, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to edit certain parts.

For the homepage for example, in the edit box the majority of it is code. There are whole sections of example text on the site that go with the theme, that don't actually appear in the edit box. It's just code, not a single normal word of content that I can change. I tried looking around to find the source of it, on the Cherry plugin perhaps, a place where I could change the actual CONTENT of those text boxes/ blog image box things. But there's nothing! I have no idea what to do. The only thing I can do with them is delete the whole sections, but then I don't know how to re-add them with the content I actually want. 

I've already explained to the client that I'm not a web developer, and they said it should be fine, I just have to add the content. I'm about to send an email explaining the problem and suggesting they bring a wordpress developer on board to help but I though I'd ask for advice here first.

Anyone have an idea with this? The theme is Harvest. I also can't even change the big "Harvest" header on the front. Pulling my hair out here! There isn't even a tutorial on Google for it (that I've seen anyway). Help!

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 9

Well, I know this isn't going to help you, but if he hired you to write copy, that should be all you need to be doing. It's not fair of the client to expect anything else from you.

Wordpress, while supposedly "easy", does involve a learning curve. I would stand my ground and have him hire someone who can take your copy and make it work.

Otherwise, I would call it scope creep and request more $$. You have every right to do so.

ETA: Actually - it's more than scope creep ... it's expecting you to pull your hair learning how to make their site work, when you probably have no interest in doing so. Just tell him you don't know how to use Workpress - end of story.

Well then ... nevermind.

rwestfreelance
Ace Contributor
3 of 9

I've figured out how to change one of the things on the homepage, but I still can't find where to change the big "Harvest" header... There isn't a "header" option in the "appearances" tab so I have no idea...

I'm gonna try and tinker with it a bit more before I throw in the towel completely, but I will send a message off to the client explainig the roadblocks. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 9

If you are on an hourly contract, this is fine.

If he wants to you to take as much time as it takes to learn how to do this, and he is paying you for your time, then it's okay.

if it is a fixed-price contract, then this is not acceptable.

rwestfreelance
Ace Contributor
5 of 9

It's fixed price, and the kicker is its cheaper than I normally do too, cause it was supposed to be a very simple job. Hahaha. In the client's defense, he has no idea how difficult or simple any this might be. I take responsibility for the issue, since I should have recognized it wouldn't have been as simple as just "inputing the content". 

The job was for help/guidance with content creation, and inputing it all into the wordpress site. So, dealing with the Wordpress was a part of the job, but I didn't realize the theme they had set up would be as complex to figure out as it is. There's a Motopress slider that seems to be connected to the big header, but it won't even let me edit the slides (never actually loads). Uuughh.

jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
6 of 9

Obvious, so maybe a bit "duh," question:

If you have been hired to write content only, why don't you just send the client the content? I mean, content is content, right? You are being paid for words, not for fonts, margins, kerning, etc. Why don't you just send the client a file with the content and be done with it?

If the client tries to tell you that navigating Wordpress is so "simple" (meaning that it "should" be part of YOUR job), then you can say (politely, of course) that, gosh, how wonderful that Wordpress is so simple: he (or she) will have no problem with it, will he? (meaning: If it's so damned "simple," then the client can do the posting of the content.)

Edited to Add:  Okay, I see that you were hired to do the whole content-and-posting. No good deed goes un-punished.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 9

NOT referencing the situation described in the original post, but speaking generally:

It is very foolish for any project owner or project manager to ask a writer to mess around with the internal workings of their website, whether it is "easy" Wordpress or something else.

A writer should be asked to submit content either simply as text files or word processor files or whatnot, or asked to use a genuinely simple, fool-proof front-end user interface.

Even if the writer is willing to try their hand at back-end configuration and such, it's not worth the risk.

rwestfreelance
Ace Contributor
8 of 9

The job was for help/guidance with content creation, and inputing it all into the wordpress site. So, dealing with the Wordpress was a part of the job, but I didn't realize the theme they had set up would be as complex to figure out as it is. There's a Motopress slider that seems to be connected to the big header, but it won't even let me edit the slides (never actually loads). Uuughh.

afifield
Community Guru
Amanda F Member Since: Aug 8, 2015
9 of 9

You could see if the client has the documentation that comes with the theme he has and see if it has information on how to add content where you need it, etc., or maybe go online, google harvest theme and see if you can ask the creators of the theme as often there is a little support for basic things.

Documentations for themes usually describe the simple setup, configuration and where to go to do certain things. I doubt you would have to mess with any code to simply add content since wordpress is a CMS meant to make it easier to add text, images, etc. They do have issues sometimes though. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS