Did you mean: 

Dealing with clients unwilling to provide enough hours to complete a job

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
BEST ANSWER
11 of 16

@Sari K wrote:
Glad to hear all of your thoughts are similarly aligned with mine!

As an add on question, does it change anyone's opinions that this is for a non-profit org that does not have a lot of money in its budget for this type of work?

Not all non-profits are cash-strapped. There are many kinds of non-profits, and some of them have plenty of $$$ in their coffers.

And besides, as others have noted, she sounds like a PITA client. Bub-Bye.

View solution in original post

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
12 of 16

@Sari K wrote:
Glad to hear all of your thoughts are similarly aligned with mine!

As an add on question, does it change anyone's opinions that this is for a non-profit org that does not have a lot of money in its budget for this type of work?

If your first instinct with a client is, "Oh No, this doesn't sound right!", why are you trying to rationalize yourself out of that red flag?

Non-profits are run by people (as you know) who can be just as downright nefarious as the for-profit organizations. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
13 of 16

@Sari K wrote:

Nope 🙂

gerrys
Community Guru
Gerry S Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
14 of 16

It's there for you to see. You are seeing it but are afraid to walk away. They are not family or friends; it's business. Your business. I see no happy ending here when someone thinks you "owe" them (your "cheap" labor).

jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
15 of 16

I do plenty of non-profit work. Spent three hours of un-paid time at a church meeting just last night, and threw in my mileage and a huge pan of homemade macaroni-and-cheese, as well.

I donate to many do-gooder causes of my own (affirmative) choosing.

All of the above are/have been executed at my discretion, and are tax-deductible (except for my hours) (although tax-deductibility is not the point).

I do not respond to the nim-nums who call me out of the blue and tell me, for instance, that I must send out envelopes to people in my neighborhood in order to "raise funds for the ladies suffering so badly with breast cancer." (Not my chosen charity; I have no information on the organization calling me; I do not know what percentage of money would go to actual, beneficial programs or research, rather than to "overhead" and "fund-raising" ; I resent the guilt-tripping tactics used; I do not appreciate my work hours being interrupted; I have zero intention of bothering my neighbors!!)

The difference in pay rate between my asking professional rate and the rate some putative non-profit offers could be looked upon as a "donation" -- but it would be seen in that light only by me, not by the IRS. That difference may add to my sense of moral vanity, but it is not tax-deductible. Nor do I necessarily understand what is actually being done with such a "donation." In most cases, I could do much better by simply finding better-paying work and directly donating the money that I earn--to one of several organizations that I am certain are doing good work.

On occasion, I have reduced my rate for a project here and there that I find to be interesting. Such projects are occasionally done for non-profits. The benefit to me is the enjoyment/experience/connections I gain from the work. I do not do such work as "charity."

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
16 of 16

re: "I do not respond to the nim-nums who call me out of the blue and tell me, for instance, that I must send out envelopes to people in my neighborhood in order to raise funds for the...."

I think you wisely know that there's a good chance people calling you out of the blue are scammers.

Just like "clients" sending invitations out of the blue to Upwork newbies are scammers.

Just like the "Microsoft technical support reps" who call me out of the blue to tell me that my Microsoft Windows computer has a terrible virus are scammers. (I use only Mac OS X computers at home.)

Just like the "IRS agents" who call me out of the blue to tell me that I need to pay overdue taxes NOW (using iTunes cards I purchase at Walgreens!), or I will be arrested, are scammers.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS