Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dear Odesk ...

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
1 of 8

Dear Odesk,

Your forum sorely needs two separe sections, one for those who post about their suspensions and another for feedback.

It seems lately the majority of posts when I come into the forum are complaints, suggestions and those who have had their accounts suspended.

It gets old coming into the forum and reading negativity. It would be nice t come in and actually read something productive.

Is customer service not doing their job to adequately answer the questions for these accounts that have been suspended or are under review? Perhaps there needs to be a section specially for those questions that are not answered.

Thank you for reading. I really would like to see more postive posts in the forum. Please bring back the feedback section. 

Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
2 of 8

precisely!

All the negativity is one of the reasons I stopped posting lately.

Customer service should not spill into the forum but for the 2 whole months of it's existence, it seems the forum is the new customer care/customer support avenue of the platform.

Lots of people posting about problems wgich could have been avoided if they were sent details about what's up with their accounts and if only customer care response doesn't take weeks. I felt so sad reading about freelancers getting their accounts suspended and money witheld for weeks with no resolution to this day and them needing to post here just to get someone to follow up their cases.

Not a week goes by without me getting a forum PM from someone who thinks I'm one of the staff and wants me to take care pf their cases, it's getting grrrr.

I want a forum with a real community feel to it....Where people help each other and share ideas and not just like how it is now where us veterans are trying to fill in where support is lacking by answering posts of people who need help and shouldn't be posting about their issues in the forum if only the right people are addressing those issues.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Guru
Aseem B Member Since: Dec 20, 2014
3 of 8

Plus one to this idea. The forum is getting cluttered with complaints most of which gets buried without resolution. Note that I am not against letting freelancers to be allowed to raise issues that they are facing. But I think that each of the complaint must be addressed by Moderators instead of getting ignored and replaced by another more recent complaint about same issue. Having a separate section for complaints would be great and may be forum moderators can stay a bit more active over there. 

Also the "Idea Exchange" section proposed by Garner had been in process for a while now. 

Until this happens, I guess I will try switching to the "Coffee Break" section. Smiley Happy

Community Guru
4 of 8

I just get tired of reading all the negative posts. I am ready to stop coming into the forum as it is not productive to read all the complaints. If support was doing it's job people wouldn't be coming into the forum to complain that they were not getting answers.

I read a lot. I do not know whether to believe that Odesk has gone way off the deep end or if they are cleaning house and we are only hearing one side of the story.

I know lots of times that people who are guilty scream the loudest. Not to say all are guilty of something. But I have run forums and sites with members and I know weeding out the bad can be difficult at times, and those who get caught at something generally scream real loud when they they get caught.

It still does not belong on the forums and if it was being handled right with Odesk support and in a timely fashion we would have a supportive community rather then a negative community.

I applaud Odesk for doing house cleaning and wanting to improve the site for everyone, but putting people off and suspending without due process is not making for a happy community. 

I realize there is no easy way to clean house, but there would be less tadoo if people were answered by support or given an email to contact someone that could help them rather then having support telling them constantly that someone will get back with them.

People do not want to be put off when it comes to their livelihoods. I think a time limit on decisions made should be put in place and a contact for those having issues to get their answers (even if it is not what they want to hear.

What Odesk has done is not right. It seems that people are guilty before the proof is in the pudding. Please Odesk take some of this and put it to use.

You could set up a team to answer questions. You could set up an area on the forum that was for people having issues. You could also shorten the time to make your decisions and stop dragging it out.

I will shut up now, I just am about ready to stop reading in the forum or posting as it is so negative it does not make it feel like a place I want to contribute. All I see is complaints and unhappy people.

I again ask that you put sections up for feedback and complaints. Or give members a contact that they get thier questions answered privately rather then placing all their information in the forums.

Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
5 of 8
This is something some other online companies do. They have no support staff you can contact directly. Instead, you are expected to post on their forums and get help from a volunteer.Sometimes, it even ends up with forum posters arguing about what the right answer is, because they are only guessing based on their experiences.

I don't want to give people advice as I don't work for oDesk and I can't be sure of the right answers. I'm not going to play guessing games with other people's livelihoods.
Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
6 of 8

Hi Suzanne,

Thanks for the feedback. We are reviewing some adjustments to the account review/suspension process so we aren't inundated with those reports and follow up here on the Community. We too want to improve the level of conversation here, though I don't expect we'll completely do away with calls for assistance from those users affected by an account issue/restriction. 

Additionally, this Community is not intended to replace Customer Support. We will continue to dedicate a ton of resources to hiring, training and managing a strong Customer Support team to provide users with the help they need. That said, we will also continue to encourage users to visit our Community for assistance, conversation, tips from other users like yourself. If you choose not to participate in those discussions, that's fine, it is by no means a requirement to participating here in the Community. 

Again, I understand the perspective and agree. We'll continue doing what we can to "up level" the conversation here and we look forward to your help in doing so.

Community Guru
7 of 8

Garnor,

I appreciate your comments, but today alone on the forum almost every subject in the Freelance section has to do with something Customer Support "Should" be taking care of. It really does not belong on a forum and if it does it should have it's own section.

It is really quite annoying that the feedback section was removed, and there is no place for them to to even have support answer them that they will get back with them or they will have someone get in contact but in the main groups where there is over 10 posts which are issues that Support should be able to handle.

I have done Support and Technical Support for a number of years, and to see as many complaints that are in the forum to me says Support is not doing their job.

Either Odesk needs to pay more, provide better training or ? I am not sure. Generally when I see Support like I have seen on Odesk it is due to lack of training or companies that teach them to get them off the phone as fast as they can if they aren't buying. Either in my opinion is bad customer support. 

If issues were being resolved and not put off one would not be seeing the amount of complaints you see online or in the forum. And what I mean by online.. please do a search as there are a lot of complaints not only from freelancers but from clients as well that they are not getting their issues resolved by Odesk.

Odesk seriously needs to take a look at their CSR and look at improving it.

Community Guru
Marissa S Member Since: Feb 6, 2008
8 of 8

Exactly... why not have two sections, namely: Rants (and) Raves

Smiley LOL

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS