Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dear Upwork Community I need an advice

Ace Contributor
Laura A Member Since: Mar 26, 2015
1 of 8

Hello all!

I've been shortlisted for a job, the client is asking for a paid test, for this test it will take at least one and half day of work and they are not paying too much for this

I asked them how much they pay for the real job, but they haven't figured out yet..

ther is something that doesn't convince me,

my sensation is that the job is the test and it is under paid

did someone have the same experience?

thank you as always guys!

Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
2 of 8

How much of a difference is there? if not much and you want the money thennn. why not. But, either way it sounds like this client doesn't know what they are doing if they are posting a job, yet still haven't figured out how much they are willing to pay for it. I'd let it be and find another as it just seems like trouble waiting to happen

Ace Contributor
Laura A Member Since: Mar 26, 2015
3 of 8

Hi Tony, thanks for your fast reply, 

in fact my concern is the "after" and not the test in itself, 

i know they are asking for a job that costs three times as much and I think they are not going to pay later

thank you for ypur advice 

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
4 of 8

Follow your gut feeling. It's not worth the hassle taking on stuff and just hoping it'll turn out alright...

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 8
Laura, "shortlisted" in this case sounds like a code word for "scam".

If I were you, I would make the decision based on how much they're paying for the test period. Just pretend there is no further job beyond that.
Community Guru
Tony H Member Since: Nov 10, 2011
6 of 8

What Stephen said.

"...and I think they are not going to pay later"

If something doesn't feel right. It probably isn't.

Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
7 of 8

Even if the test isn't the job, what's next? You do the paid test, and then they offer you a bigger workload, but still at 1/3rd of the price (or even less)?

I am not against paid tests, they make sense for some jobs. I don't even mind short free samples (e.g. in my case translating a couple of sentences which takes 15 minutes tops). But only, if the actual work to come is clearly laid out and I can estimate the potential of the job for myself.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 8
A real, honest client may well not know how much he should pay for certain services... But will let the contractor tell him. If you want to hire me to do this task, then this is how much it costs. The contractor sets the terms and the client can choose to accept those terms, or look elsewhere.

A real client may also have specific payment in mind that the contractor must choose to accept or reject. But a client who wants you to work now and he'll figure out pay later is playing games.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS