cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Declaring income taxes (residing in Brazil)

Ricardo B Member Since: May 26, 2016
1 of 13

Any Brazillian freelancers here who earns from Upwork regularly?

I'd like to know how you declare Upwork earnings in your individual income taxes (called IRPF - "Imposto de Renda de Pessoa Física" in Brazil).

I'm working in my second project here at Upwork and I would like to declare these incomings the right way.

I've heard about a thing called "Carnê-leão" but I don't know if it is the easiest/cheaper solution.

Best

Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
2 of 13

I am not from Brazil but I am a registered tax payer.  I used the Certificate of Earnings Report when I filed my Income Tax Return(s).

Ana L Member Since: Feb 16, 2017
3 of 13

@ricardo B wrote:

Any Brazillian freelancers here who earns from Upwork regularly?

I'd like to know how you declare Upwork earnings in your individual income taxes (called IRPF - "Imposto de Renda de Pessoa Física" in Brazil).

I'm working in my second project here at Upwork and I would like to declare these incomings the right way.

I've heard about a thing called "Carnê-leão" but I don't know if it is the easiest/cheaper solution.

Best

Olá Ricardo Smiley Happy

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 13

Hi Ana,

I'm sorry about editing your comment but note that we only allow posts in English. Feel free to repost your comment. 

Ana L Member Since: Feb 16, 2017
5 of 13

Hello Ricardo Smiley Happy

I'm in the same situation. Did you receive any news?

Heliton N Member Since: Nov 9, 2015
6 of 13

"Carne-leao" is the right way to go if you don't have a company. The problem is that if you earn more than R$ 26k yearly, you gonna pay a lot taxes.

The best way to proceed is to start a company, either MEI (very cheap, limited to R$ 60k yearly), "Simples Nacional" or "Lucro Presumido".

I highly recommend hiring an accountant if you earn more than R$ 26k yearly, he's the best person to help you with tax matters.

For example, if you start a company and tax it as "Lucro Presumido", your taxes gonna be 9% for international services and 15% for national services. Using "Carne-leao" you gonna pay from 15% to 27,5% for both international and national services.

Alican T Member Since: Nov 11, 2017
7 of 13

Hi Heliton, I have a ME in Brazil and i'd like to declare my earnings by issuing bills. In this case, should we issue to Upwork Escrow Inc. , correct? Is there any billing details of it like address, etc.?

Mikael A Member Since: Mar 3, 2018
8 of 13

Hi Ricardo, how are you?

I recomeend you to check the "Perguntão" to get more info.

http://idg.receita.fazenda.gov.br/interface/cidadao/irpf/2018/perguntao

Many accountants in Brazin doesn't know how answer these type of questions.

Check the section "RESIDENTE NO BRASIL — RENDIMENTOS DO EXTERIOR", page 64 to get more info about it.

Regards,

Mikael A Member Since: Mar 3, 2018
9 of 13

Anyone here is using Carnê Leao?

Mayra G Member Since: Jan 19, 2019
10 of 13
Hi Mikael, can you give more info about that? My earnings will exceed 26k this year and the advise you gave is interesting. Is there a page or somewhere with more information about that?
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS