🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Declined by Client // This job is no long...
Page options
david_alejandro
Community Member

Declined by Client // This job is no longer available

I have a query and it seems to be a mistake, when a job is closed a message appears This job is no longer available and the connects return to my account

Now I always get a message that the proposal was declined, at first I thought it was correct and that my proposal was rejected, but then they all began to look the same and the work appears unavailable to anyone, apparently they have a bug 

The problem is that this way upwork would not return the connections, I would like to check my account since this has been happening since last week

16 REPLIES 16
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Alejandro,

Please note that connects are not returned in case of the declined proposal. Connects are only returned if a job is canceled either by our team in case it's in violation of Upwork ToS or by the client if they don't want to proceed with it. Please, see this article for more information.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork

If that's what I just said ...You're telling me something I already said, what I mean is that the proposals are closing them, not rejecting them...

petra_r
Community Member

alejandro g wrote:

I have a query and it seems to be a mistake, when a job is closed a message appears This job is no longer available and the connects return to my account

Now I always get a message that the proposal was declined, at first I thought it was correct and that my proposal was rejected, but then they all began to look the same and the work appears unavailable to anyone, apparently they have a bug

Connects are only returned if the client canceled the job post without having hired anyone or Upwork took it down as a terms of service violation.

If job posts close because someone was hired, or time out ue to inactivity, or you were declined, you do not get the connects back.

This is exactly the same as it has always been.

grimesr
Community Member

Why should there be a difference between a client closing a job and a job timing out? Seems to me either way, the client didn't want to do the job. Why should the freelancer be penalized for a client that just never comes back to do anything with the job?

Robert G wrote:

Why should there be a difference between a client closing a job and a job timing out? Seems to me either way, the client didn't want to do the job. Why should the freelancer be penalized for a client that just never comes back to do anything with the job?

There shouldn't. There's no reason Upwork should be returning connects on a job closed without hiring, whichever way that occurs. I've heard that connects being returned when the client closed the job without hiring was a glitch that Upwork just never bothered to fix, since it comes up so rarely. I have no idea whether that's true, but it makes sense, since returning them when the client chooses not to hire is kind of weird and without clear reason.

I think I can't be more specific, this has been going on for a week, I understand the terms you are telling me, but apparently it is not the case

**Edited for community guidelines**

alejandro g wrote:

I think I can't be more specific, this has been going on for a week, I understand the terms you are telling me, but apparently it is not the case

So? When you are declined you do not get your connects back.

Sorry, are you watching the screenshots I sent?

the problem is not that they reject, it is also not a problem that the connections do not return, the problem is that the work is being closed instead of being rejected ...

the problem is that the work is being closed instead of being rejected ...

Do you mean declined?

From my understanding, a proposal can be declined but that doesn't mean it the job is closed. What is the actual status of the job? Is the client still interviewing or doing nothing or is there a Hired = 1 on the job?

apparently it is a bug of the page, but I get tired of the bad attitude of the moderators, I prefer not to spend time, I leave the images so that you can see them

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Alejandro,

I checked the jobs you screenshotted (I had to remove the screenshots for privacy reasons) and it doesn't look like there is a bug. To clarify, a job with no activity expires after 30 days, when that happens, the proposals sent to the job get automatically declined. That's why you'll see that notification. Since the expired job is closed, it'll show as closed in your archived proposal list. As others noted on this thread earlier, connects used to send a proposal to a job that expire are not returned. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thanks Valeria, I thank you for taking the time to review the images, this solves my doubts since you were a little more specific than the other answers and verifying that it was not a type of error, this is the kindness that we generally expect in this type of community

thank you

alejandro g wrote:

Thanks Valeria, I thank you for taking the time to review the images, this solves my doubts since you were a little more specific than the other answers and verifying that it was not a type of error, this is the kindness that we generally expect in this type of community

thank you

Alejandro, Valeria works for Upwork and so can check the jobs in question and see what happened. The rest of us do not, and since both of your attempts at posting screen shots were deleted since that violates TOS, no one else here saw the specifics.

Now that Valeria has seen the specifics, she has confirmed what everyone else told you.

alejandro g wrote:

the problem is that the work is being closed instead of being rejected ...

So?

Job posts may close because they time out (30 days inactivity) = you do not get your connects back

Job posts may close because because someone else was hired = you do not get your connects back

Job posts may close after you were declined = you do not get your connects back

that bad attitude to give a simple answer, the problem is not that, it is consecutive with 4 or 5 at a time and it seems to be a bug, but if I have to deal with this type of person for a simple question I prefer to just leave it like this.

Robert G understood what i was trying to explain, but the bad attitude without even looking at the example images does not help at all, Next time I will send a private message instead

alejandro g wrote:

that bad attitude to give a simple answer, the problem is not that, it is consecutive with 4 or 5 at a time and it seems to be a bug, but if I have to deal with this type of person for a simple question I prefer to just leave it like this.

Robert G understood what i was trying to explain, but the bad attitude without even looking at the example images does not help at all, Next time I will send a private message instead

You are right some of these so called gurus do have bad attitudes, I will be sure to give them a talking to and ask them to work on refining their approach.  Thanks!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths