cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Declined by Client // This job is no longer available

alejandro g Member Since: Nov 28, 2018
1 of 17

I have a query and it seems to be a mistake, when a job is closed a message appears This job is no longer available and the connects return to my account

Now I always get a message that the proposal was declined, at first I thought it was correct and that my proposal was rejected, but then they all began to look the same and the work appears unavailable to anyone, apparently they have a bug 

The problem is that this way upwork would not return the connections, I would like to check my account since this has been happening since last week

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
2 of 17

Hi Alejandro,

Please note that connects are not returned in case of the declined proposal. Connects are only returned if a job is canceled either by our team in case it's in violation of Upwork ToS or by the client if they don't want to proceed with it. Please, see this article for more information.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Untitled
3 of 17

If that's what I just said ...You're telling me something I already said, what I mean is that the proposals are closing them, not rejecting them...

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 17

alejandro g wrote:

I have a query and it seems to be a mistake, when a job is closed a message appears This job is no longer available and the connects return to my account

Now I always get a message that the proposal was declined, at first I thought it was correct and that my proposal was rejected, but then they all began to look the same and the work appears unavailable to anyone, apparently they have a bug

Connects are only returned if the client canceled the job post without having hired anyone or Upwork took it down as a terms of service violation.

If job posts close because someone was hired, or time out ue to inactivity, or you were declined, you do not get the connects back.

This is exactly the same as it has always been.

Ace Contributor
Robert G Member Since: Aug 7, 2018
5 of 17

Why should there be a difference between a client closing a job and a job timing out? Seems to me either way, the client didn't want to do the job. Why should the freelancer be penalized for a client that just never comes back to do anything with the job?

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
6 of 17

Robert G wrote:

Why should there be a difference between a client closing a job and a job timing out? Seems to me either way, the client didn't want to do the job. Why should the freelancer be penalized for a client that just never comes back to do anything with the job?

There shouldn't. There's no reason Upwork should be returning connects on a job closed without hiring, whichever way that occurs. I've heard that connects being returned when the client closed the job without hiring was a glitch that Upwork just never bothered to fix, since it comes up so rarely. I have no idea whether that's true, but it makes sense, since returning them when the client chooses not to hire is kind of weird and without clear reason.

7 of 17

I think I can't be more specific, this has been going on for a week, I understand the terms you are telling me, but apparently it is not the case

**Edited for community guidelines**

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 17

alejandro g wrote:

I think I can't be more specific, this has been going on for a week, I understand the terms you are telling me, but apparently it is not the case

So? When you are declined you do not get your connects back.

9 of 17

Sorry, are you watching the screenshots I sent?

the problem is not that they reject, it is also not a problem that the connections do not return, the problem is that the work is being closed instead of being rejected ...

Ace Contributor
Robert G Member Since: Aug 7, 2018
10 of 17
the problem is that the work is being closed instead of being rejected ...

Do you mean declined?

From my understanding, a proposal can be declined but that doesn't mean it the job is closed. What is the actual status of the job? Is the client still interviewing or doing nothing or is there a Hired = 1 on the job?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS