🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Declined for spam application?
Page options
flyinggraphite
Community Member

Declined for spam application?

I submitted a proposal for a job. But the, I just got an email saying that the proposal was declined for "Spam application- recycled cover letter".

Now, I'll freely admit I've had a template for cover letters that I used for a number of proposals. I even have some of the same words on my profile (that may have caused a misunderstanding). The truth is, I really don't like doing cover letters, and I jst find myself saying the same basic things anyway, even if I write from scratch. So, I though I'd be able to copy and paste a cover letter into multiple proposals to save me some trouble. But this might have gotten the person posting the job thinking I'm scamming them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, have I done anything wrong? Am I getting in trouble? And is there any hope  I can still get the job from this person? I appreciate and understand this person's caution, but I was hoping for this job they were offering, and I want them to know I mean well.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wescowley
Community Member

Michael D wrote:

I guess what I'm trying to say is, have I done anything wrong? Am I getting in trouble?

Unlikely, though you may want to put a bit more effort into customizing your proposals to respond to the specifics of the job post. When a letter is obviously cut and pasted, some clients will reject it out of hand (obviously).

And is there any hope  I can still get the job from this person? I appreciate and understand this person's caution, but I was hoping for this job they were offering, and I want them to know I mean well.

Unlikely. You could try to reapply with an improved letter, and maybe they won't remember the name, but I'd suggest you just learn from it move on.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
wescowley
Community Member

Michael D wrote:

I guess what I'm trying to say is, have I done anything wrong? Am I getting in trouble?

Unlikely, though you may want to put a bit more effort into customizing your proposals to respond to the specifics of the job post. When a letter is obviously cut and pasted, some clients will reject it out of hand (obviously).

And is there any hope  I can still get the job from this person? I appreciate and understand this person's caution, but I was hoping for this job they were offering, and I want them to know I mean well.

Unlikely. You could try to reapply with an improved letter, and maybe they won't remember the name, but I'd suggest you just learn from it move on.

williambernal
Community Member

MD,

That's odd. (or perhaps just another "helpful UW feature")

I've used the same basic cover letter for years (albeit slightly customized for every job) and I've never received that particular "Spam..." message.

You might want to consider reorganizing your generic cover so it's more flexible/adjustable.

Good luck!

researchediting
Community Member

Unless this happens again, I wouldn't be too concerned. You got one bad/weird refusal reason out of your history of success with judicious reuse of language. Who knows what the prospect had in mind, or whether their finger slipped as they ticked the box? Best not to try to second-guess clients. That way madness lies.

tlbp
Community Member

It is important to somehow indicate in your cover letter that you have read the client's post and understand what their requirements are. So, a template that says, "I do X,Y,Z, hire me," won't work. You need to be able to say, "I see that you need X. I've done X before and..." 

Also, you've uploaded all your portfolio pieces in a single collection. From the client's perspective, this makes it appear that you have a single portfolio sample. You should spread your work out so that it is easily scannable. Very few clients will take the time to click on a portfolio selection to see if more lies beneath. 

Check out the profiles of others in your niche who have won gigs. Don't copy their profiles, but do take some tips on how to better yours from them. 
Good luck!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members