🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Declining JSS score
Page options
webmaster250
Community Member

Declining JSS score

Hello Fellow Community Members,

My Jss score keeps going down despite receiving some positive reviews recently. My Jss score has declined from 100 to 78 to 64% despite receiving 4.85 and 4.30-star reviews. I opened a ticket with support regarding the issue yesterday, but my request is still opened and not assigned to any agent. Will Upwork respond to my ticket? Your advice is appreciated.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Kevin O wrote:

My Jss score keeps going down despite receiving some positive reviews recently. My Jss score has declined from 100 to 78 to 64% despite receiving 4.85 and 4.30-star reviews. I opened a ticket with support regarding the issue yesterday, but my request is still opened and not assigned to any agent. Will Upwork respond to my ticket? Your advice is appreciated.

I doubt they will respond since it's not a support issue. The calculation is the same for everyone, and it would be terribly unfair if they manually changed it for somebody. Plus I'm assuming it can't be manually changed just because someone is unhappy with their score. If they did that, they wouldn't have time to adress real issues people have. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Kevin O wrote:

I doubt they will respond since it's not a support issue. The calculation is the same for everyone, and it would be terribly unfair if they manually changed it for somebody. Plus I'm assuming it can't be manually changed just because someone is unhappy with their score. If they did that, they wouldn't have time to adress real issues people have. 

PradeepH

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for your message.

I am sorry to hear about the drop in your JSS. Star ratings are based on public feedback left by clients at the end of a contract as well as the size of those projects. Job Success scores more accurately represent a freelancer’s reputation by taking additional details indicating client satisfaction into consideration. This includes private and public feedback, long-term relationships, rehires, and contracts that do not result in work delivered. The goal is to capture a breadth of information not necessarily reflected in your star rating or profile.  Because the information above isn’t included in a freelancer’s star rating, your JSS score may differ dramatically from your star rating. You can learn more about JSS here.

Thank you.

Pradeep

Upwork

My JSS keeps on declining despite receiving some positive reviews. Currently, the number of clients who would recommend me is 63% but my JSS score is 62%. how is this possible? Does it mean more clients would recommend me, but I have successfully completed less projects.

Kevin O wrote:

My JSS keeps on declining despite receiving some positive reviews. Currently, the number of clients who would recommend me is 63% but my JSS score is 62%. how is this possible? Does it mean more clients would recommend me, but I have successfully completed less projects.

Your JSS is declining because you got another poor review. 4.8, the newest review, is not good (since clients typically leave 5 stars) and they likely left poor private feedback as well. Your JSS is low because you really only have two (from the looks of it) positive reviews and the rest are below average. 

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for your message. Star ratings are based on public feedback left by clients at the end of a contract as well as the size of those projects. Job Success scores more accurately represent a freelancer’s reputation by taking additional details indicating client satisfaction into consideration. This includes private and public feedback, long-term relationships, rehires, and contracts that do not result in work delivered. The goal is to capture a breadth of information not necessarily reflected in your star rating or profile. Because the information above isn’t included in a freelancer’s star rating, your JSS score may differ dramatically from your star rating. You can learn more about JSS here

Thank you.

Pradeep

Upwork

Kevin O wrote:

Currently, the number of clients who would recommend me is 63% but my JSS score is 62%. how is this possible? 

The JSS is Dollar weighed. The "Clients who would recommend" metric is not. The "Clients who would recommend" is also a lifetime metric, whilst the JSS is the best of 4 calculation windows. The JSS updates every 2 weeks, the "Clients who would recommend" metric updates every several completed contracts.

They are rarely the same. In your case, both are very, very poor.

Kevin O wrote:

My JSS keeps on declining despite receiving some positive reviews. 

I guess that depends on your definition of "positive"...

Your JSS is very low because you consistently disappoint clients.

An additional hint: If you must respond to a client's feedback (which is usually a bad idea), as someone who is trying to sell his services as a writer, such a response should not be in broken English or contain mistakes.

petra_r
Community Member

Kevin O wrote:

Those clearly came with less than enthusiastic private feedback.

Most clients leave 5 stars by default unless they absolutely hated the freelancer's work, and often even then. The **AVERAGE** feedback left for freelancers across the site is 4.9.... So, basically, the public feedback (stars) is more or less meaningless and grossly inflated. Even your "4.85" is "below average".

Most (!) of your clients consistently mark you down for skills and quality even in public feedback. Maybe you want to rethink what you are offering. I am not sure offering writing services in English is really where your marketable strengths lie.

tlbp
Community Member

Kevin O wrote:

You've overpromised and underdelivered on a platform where every contract counts. The JSS reflects the overall satisfaction of your clients with your work. What is the clients who would recommend you number on you stats page? If they wouldn't recommend, they weren't happy. 

My JSS keeps on declining despite receiving some positive reviews. Currently my number of clients who would recommend me is 63% but my JSS score is 62%. how is this possible? Does it mean more clients would recommend me, but I have successfully completed less projects.

Kevin O wrote:

My JSS keeps on declining despite receiving some positive reviews. Currently my number of clients who would recommend me is 63% but my JSS score is 62%. how is this possible? Does it mean more clients would recommend me, but I have successfully completed less projects.

No, it means nothing of that sort. The clients that would recommend you % can be close to the JSS, but usually are not the same number. 

It means that 37% of your clients would not recommend you, and 63% would. But that's an aggregated number calculated from a rating of 1-10, so it can be any combination. Maybe every client gave you a 7/10, or any other combination. 

In any case, you need to step back and consider what you have to improve to make your clients more happy with your work. 63% recommendation is pretty bad, and if you don't improve it, your JSS will stay that low. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members