Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Declining invitaion to an interview

dashas
Ace Contributor
Dragana S Member Since: May 22, 2016
1 of 10

Dear friends freelancers,

I just received an invitation to an interview, but I have to decline since it's not my area of expertise, at all! Declining an invitation is still considered responding, right? I wouldn't want to jeopardise my JSS in any way.

Thanks,

Dragana

csjarmitage
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
2 of 10

You are correct.  You aren't penalized for declining an interview.  Just make sure you respond quickly so it doesn't hit your responsiveness score.

@Dragana S wrote:

Dear friends freelancers,

I just received an invitation to an interview, but I have to decline since it's not my area of expertise, at all! Declining an invitation is still considered responding, right? I wouldn't want to jeopardise my JSS in any way.

Thanks,

Dragana

dashas
Ace Contributor
3 of 10

Thank you, Christy!

miroslav84
Community Guru
Miroslav M Member Since: Jan 21, 2016
4 of 10

I am a native Serbian speaker who knows a bit of English.

Once upon a time I received n invitation where it was required from me to be a native Mandarin Chinese speaker and a resident of the People's Republic of China (never been there). 

Clients often click randomly on persons who are proposed to them by Upwork via some kind of algorithm, and many clients just click random names hurrying to complete the job posting process. Upwork knows that, and most of us received some inappropriate invitations. 

Yours is to make sure that you respond to all invitations the same day, either positively or negatively. The only thing related to invites that can hit your JSS is ignoring them.

dashas
Ace Contributor
5 of 10

Thank you, Miroslav for your reply. As a native Macedonian and Serbian speaker I should expect Mandarin Chinese translations as well I guess 🙂 This invitation was not so weird anyways, the client needed a T-shirt designed, but deisgned in terms of technology, not in terms of designing graphics for T-shirts which is my field.

Have a great night!

miroslav84
Community Guru
6 of 10

Ah, they were looking for a knitting/sewing fashion designer while you do design T-shirt imprints. In your case they at least matched some keywords. I often get weird and inadequate invitations to apply which have no relation to anything stated in my skills, experience and the overall profile.

I just looked over your profile and it is wonderful and shiny, wish I was like you and had clients like yours are but...how did you manage to reach this low JSS (equal to mine)?

dashas
Ace Contributor
7 of 10

I have been on this platform for a month and a few days now and I have no idea why I got my first JSS at 77% when all the clients left 5 stars feedback (fellows freelancers suggested that it was due to private feedback, apparently if the clients clicks any number lower than 9 it reflects as negative feedback). Then it got a little higher after 12 days or so, reached 83%. I am hoping for continuos encrease, at least until it reaches 100%, that number seems good enough 😄

Thank you for your kind words about my profile, it will get even better with all the fantastic designs I am currently creating. 

All my best!

miroslav84
Community Guru
8 of 10

I started finding my best clients once my JSS dropped below 90%. My Marketing Effectivenes bars went from tiny to above 50%. I worry less about the JSS since most clients actually only pay attention to the cover letter.

Everything above 80% is great. I would just like to have a 90% JSS should I keep on raising my rates, otherwise I don't have any problem finding new clients (though many do not deserve to be called as such, but it is another story). 

Thanks for your kind words, too 🙂 Have a good night!

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
9 of 10

Hi everyone, 

I would just like to clarify that whether you decide to decline an offer or let it expire, it will not affect your Job Success score or Responsiveness score. The Responsiveness score is based on how quickly you reply to invitations to apply for jobs and Job Success score is based on the outcomes of contracts.

You may read more about how the Job Success Score is computed here, and how your responsiveness is tracked here, and here

~ Avery
Upwork
miroslav84
Community Guru
10 of 10

Thanks. But what are benefits of having a good Responsiveness, and how can I have my Responsiveness determined since I receive too few invites for it? I think Upwork can also include some other factors in determining a freelancer's Responsiveness, since the number of invites received is totally out of one's control or reach. 

Continuous days of logging onto Upwork, the time to respond requests other than invites (new jobs, milestones, messages in interviews) can also be taken into consideration. I believe these also can tell how quickly one responds to requests, not only the invitations.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS