🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Decrease in Invites & Messages Despite Upgrad...
Page options
muhammadmoazza71
Community Member

Decrease in Invites & Messages Despite Upgrade & Profile Boost

I've noticed a significant drop in client invites and direct messages since starting a time-tracked contract three weeks ago. Prior to this, client engagement was high.

Recently, I've upgraded to a Plus plan and have been actively using 5 connects daily to boost my profile visibility. Despite these efforts, there has been no increase in invites or messages in over a day. Additionally, I updated my profile and added a new portfolio a month ago. I'm searching for potential reasons for this sudden change in client engagement on the platform.

Any insights or similar experiences from the community would be greatly appreciated.

17 REPLIES 17
2c8245c1
Community Member

Hi,

I read your post and you face a problem. I have a suggestion if you don't mind. A decrease in invites and messages could be due to various factors, such as market fluctuations or changes in platform algorithms. To address this, review your profile for optimal keyword usage, engage in community forums for visibility, and reach out to past clients for potential repeat business.

I hope my suggestion will be help you.

It's okay to want to help, but someone who even has a profile created doesn't seem like the most appropriate person, especially with a text created by AI (it seems like it).
By the way, just so you know, commenting on the forums does not give you visibility to customers. It only gives you badges that are useless.

Would it possible if you can explain a little bit more about "text created by Ai"? Maybe that would be helpful for us. 

Thanks

I'm not replying for Maria, but my answer is that too many people use the latest chatbot version of ChatGPT to do everything for them, including writing their forum posts. It's as obvious as dog poo on your shoe, and just as icky.

Genuine, skilled freelancers know how to write proposals and profiles, without using a plagiarizing chatbot. They also know how to post in their own words. No one cares if someone doesn't speak perfect English; native speakers are the worst examples of terrible use of the language. Most people prefer honest, original ideas, not stuff spit out by a predictive language program.

The chatbots do not think, they scrape the web, books, and who knows what, because the owners, in this case, Open AI (what a misnomer!) refuses to say where they got their programming language. Therefore, when people post this stuff, they don't go through every word to make sure it's correct. The chatbots don't know if what they are scooping up is real, valid, accurate or truthful. As the old saying goes, garbage in, garbage out. There is no way of knowing blindly if the chatbot is giving you true data.

I much prefer a real person's thoughts. As long as we can understand each other here in the forum, that's all that matters.

Percisely Jeanne!

Being a sofware developer, I embrace new technology, but I really think we are opening up unethical can of worms with this AI stuff that we wished we never did as a universe of people.   Sure it has it place, but not to formulate proposals, profiles, etc.  We definitely need better administration/regulations of these so called ChatBot Tools.   So my question is ...what ever happened to good old fashioned hard work to generate documents, etc.?

Since one of my specialities is MS Office Development, I creating my own Proposal Automation in MS Word that doen not even use a ChatBot.   It just provides an easier/efficient way to post common text in my document that I created for myself.   I still go in there add/remove text, proofread, and do an editor review to make changes to dial in for the paricular job I am apply for.    Each propsoal is my hard work.

To tell you just how crazy the "Buzz" for this AI stuff is, I went to get a some lunch for me and my dear Mom on Mother's Day.   As I was waiting, I over heard the order in front me.   Did I hear right?  It sounds like the a computerized voice taking the order.   Sure enough, because I got the same voice reposnd system to place order.   I couldn't believe it.

Back to UpWork..   I have read alot of posts that people of having been complaining about and surely appreciate their frustation.   I get it...we all want to be profitable, even UpWork.  

But I wonder has anybody thought of maybe having a meeting with UpWork to see if we as a whole can make the platform better for everyone, UpWork included?    Seems we could make it better.   I also wonder if UpWork charge (if don't already), for a client to post a job.   Seems that might help, reduce the scamming, increase the hire rate for starters.

Lastly, since Upwork increased the cost for a Plus Memberhip I cancelled it.    Don't care for AI, I won't be using it.    If I need to, I will buy connects and boost proposals wisely.  I even turned off my Availablilty Badge, cause I just don't see it helping at all.  Connects are precious commodity and everyone should manage them carefully.

Anyway, enough of that.  I hope everyone can make a profit in whatever they love to do.

God Bless and be at peace everyone.

So my question is ...what ever happened to good old fashioned hard work to generate documents, etc.?

It still exists, and is in the realm of professionals, who also still exist. I know a lot of clients ask the same thing. When Upwork removed all testing, and limits on the platform and category, and literally allowed anyone to be a freelancer, things changed for the worse here. Once Upwork realized people were spending connects (money), but then left when they had no job, began the hard push for supposed "AI." Unfortunately, the unskilled and lazy latched onto the chatbots using predictive language, like your phone interpreting what you will say next, but with plagiarism.

But I wonder has anybody thought of maybe having a meeting with UpWork to see if we as a whole can make the platform better for everyone, UpWork included?

Many times. Freelancers have offered extensive free work to help everyone, including Upwork, but they refuse. Upwork is a business, and has not shown any interest in making things better for anyone, but Upwork. This is their right; they have no obligation to make the platform better for anyone. They are focused on getting/staying out of the red. Many of us genuinely care/cared about the platform, not just personally, but for the quality, and the opportunities available, and did all we could to have a professional environment. Upwork did not acknowledge this, or care. They need cash, and the shareholders got tired of waiting for a payout.

Lastly, since Upwork increased the cost for a Plus Memberhip I cancelled it. Don't care for AI, I won't be using it. If I need to, I will buy connects and boost proposals wisely. I even turned off my Availablilty Badge, cause I just don't see it helping at all. Connects are precious commodity and everyone should manage them carefully.

Agreed.

Thank you for sharing your genuine, human thoughts.

I'm not going to add much to what Jeanne H has answered.
Is your question related to your presentation being AI?

I am not an English speaker and I use "Goggle Translator" so that my posts are moderately intelligible, but the AI is so repetitive that I have managed to recognize almost without fail if something is written with it.
There are many posts written whith it and it can be seen from a distance. Cold, cumbersome, repetitive, etc... I prefer that someone ask or answer with their level of English or, like me, with help, but with their words.

And regarding the profiles, what can I say? They all seem to be cut from the same pattern. In addition, they deceive clients about the level of English you have. We have seen posts written with a poor level of English and then you go to the profile and see that they have a high level of English and the text is "perfect" so to speak.

While we're at it, you have three profiles, two specialized, and you're using the same text for all three, wrong. The specialized profiles are designed (here something was thought about in Upwork, if it were not mandatory to have them) so that you can tell about that specific specialty. Having all three profiles with the same text doesn't make much sense.

Well, your comment is making sense to me, but when it comes to upload an Ai generated content in forums I don't agree with you on it. Our main purpose is to get experience and learn new things by posting such type of questions. It doesn't matter how we are asking but yes it does matter alot of when we update our upwork profile  and service description. 

Regarding the specialized profiles having same description yes I'm aware about it, i was getting good amount of invites and direct messages which is why i kept it same. Moreover, titles and skills are different. Thank you for highlighting this concern I will try to update profile description it might help me. I don't think so we should change our profile when it will be ranked. 

On the forums, we see a lot of people giving advice generated by AI or copied directly from Upwork help. You go to their profiles and wonder why they aren't using those wonderful tips.
It is true that there are many people confused about the badges that are given in the forum thinking that they will be seen on their profile and will make them gain visibility and therefore contracts. I think that has led many to use AI to comment on things, often repeated or without much sense.
Regarding your profiles, if they work like that for you, perfect. It was just a comment 🙂

I prefer that someone ask or answer with their level of English or, like me, with help, but with their words.

Absolutely! If anyone is using the chatbots because they are concerned about not sounding like a native English speaker - please stop! We want your real, thoughts and ideas, instead of a mishmash of words from other people. No one cares if you speak perfect English. I can tell those who aren't native English speakers that most, who are, speak and write poorly. So, there is no reason to feel embarrassed or as if you need to hide your true feelings just because you might misuse a word.

Pretty sure he wasn't trying to help, this is how he gets to drop a link to AARP.

Maybe this person is working for web posts, with no requirements. How many people would you think would sign up for AARP from a jobs platform?

Linkbacks for SEO purposes, unfortunately as you noted, not the right category, but that's just lazy SEO freelancers.

elisa_b
Community Member

That's because Profile boosting and Freelancer Plus plan are meant only to fill Upwork's pockets - not yours.

lysis10
Community Member

wrote:

I've noticed a significant drop in client invites and direct messages since starting a time-tracked contract three weeks ago. Prior to this, client engagement was high.

Recently, I've upgraded to a Plus plan and have been actively using 5 connects daily to boost my profile visibility. Despite these efforts, there has been no increase in invites or messages in over a day. Additionally, I updated my profile and added a new portfolio a month ago. I'm searching for potential reasons for this sudden change in client engagement on the platform.

Any insights or similar experiences from the community would be greatly appreciated.

No way your profile gets any views from a 5 connect boost in the WP section.

nav_designer
Community Member

The fake invitations should stop because they are misleading and not genuine. People are being deceived by these false invitations Another scam is a fake Click when you boost your profile.

Well, you're right, but they're not going to stop.
If you receive a fake or fraudulent invitation it is your job to discover that it is, report it and move on to the next one. That Upwork could do more, okay, but as long as they decide to do something, it's up to you.
If you read the TOS and all the help on Upwork and the forums, you can avoid being scammed in most cases.
Most of the people who appear here denouncing that they have been scammed, or almost, have not read anything at all.

Regarding "Another scam is a fake Click when you boost your profile", I don't know if I understand you correctly. Are you saying that "someone", who is not the client, is clicking on your proposal so that you lose the connects you have used?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members