cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defining contract in very specific situation?

Highlighted
Milos I Member Since: Dec 13, 2018
1 of 4

Hello,

Does anyone have a suggestion  on how to find the best way to arrange contract in the situation below?

I would note that me and my client are new on Upwork, and this would be my first job experience here.

The situation is as follows:

The client wants an evaluation of his (free) product and pay a one-time, fixed price for it.

His suggestion is  that I order  the  product from Amazon and pay it from my own funds, and after  delivering I can refund that money amount, which means I’II  get that product  for free.

So, I asking you how to properly arrange this potentially tricky situation to insure that I be paid and client get satisfied?

By my opinion, maybe we can arrange the contract, where client put money on escrow account - defined amount for product purchasing plus amount to pay product  evaluation… and after delivering  and finished job I can refund my money plus be paid for the job, and we have win-win situation.

Or it is better for me to skip this opportunity?

Thank you in advance.

Milos

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
2 of 4

IMMEDIATELY decline the job.

It is a violation of Upwork's terms of Service because it violates Amazon's terms of service.

Amazon ABSOLUTELY forbids "paid reviews" - you are not even allowed to receive a free product in exchange for a review. It doesn't matter if the review is honest or not either. It is fobidden.

Amazon has already taken over 1000 freelancers to court.

NEVER write any Amazon reviews for payment. The job has to be flagged as inappropriate.

Milos I Member Since: Dec 13, 2018
3 of 4
Thank you for answering and warning.
I was not familiar with Amazon's terms of services until now.

I have declined the job already.

Regards
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 4

Milos:

Petra's information about Amazon.com is what is most important for your current question.

Putting that aside, if you were working with a client on a project completely unrelated Amazon.com, in which you needed to purchase items in order to do the job...

You simply can't get into a situation where the client is going to repay you when you submit the work. This is a stranger you are dealing with. How do you know they will pay you?

What if the client needs to you to build a demonstration wall with 100 bricks and take a photograph of it? Well, there are no policy restrictions to worry about, but there's still the money. The client would need to pay you money (through Upwork's reimburse expenses tool) up front, or order those bricks herself and have them delivered to you. You shouldn't be on the hook for the expense of purchasing things when dealing with a complete stranger who may or may not pay you back in the future.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS