🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Defrauded by someone on upwork
Page options
cdd8d598
Community Member

Defrauded by someone on upwork

I was defrauded by someone on upwork. Contact me immediately
ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Well...**Edited for Community Guidelines** Second, I was trying to feed my kids and keep my house. I found out THIS WEEK that these people came from Upwork. And, I know the agency that might have hired them. Just wanted to ask questions to see if they could be found. It's not about recovering the money so much as it is finding the actual clients. No need to be rude which y'all seem apt to do.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
petra_r
Community Member

Patton H wrote:
I was defrauded by someone on upwork. Contact me immediately

What happened?

cdd8d598
Community Member

I was hired to do what totaled $6000 and was ghosted 2 years ago. I recently discovered the clients likely came from upwork where a third party hired them. I expect a thorough investigation
petra_r
Community Member

Patton H wrote:
I was hired to do what totaled $6000 and was ghosted 2 years ago. I recently discovered the clients likely came from upwork where a third party hired them. I expect a thorough investigation

Patton, do I understand you correctly that your relationship with those clients was not formed on Upwork itself?  I am sorry that 2 years ago you were hired by someone and your contract didn't work out, but Upwork can't do "a full investigation"  into a relationship that happened outside of Upwork. Unless you were actually hired on Upwork and had an Upwork contract with an Upwork client, this is not an Upwork matter. 

Whether the clients "likely" came from Upwork or not is irrelevant. Upwork has nothing to do with what any clients who use Upwork or freelancers who use Upwork do outside of Upwork.

You will have to pursue them as advised to you by your legal representative.

Hi Patton,

Please note that due to our Community settings, new users will need to wait up to 2 hours in order to have the option to send private messages. After your Community rank updates from 'New Forum Member' to 'Active Member', please send me a private message with more information regarding your report along with the Contract ID so that I can check and send a report to our team for further investigation.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Patton:
I am sorry if you had a bad experience.

But Petra is right: This has nothing to do with Upwork.

Your time would be better spent NOT talking to Upwork customer support at all. Nothing will come of it.

Is there a reason why you did $6000 worth of work without asking for any payment along the way?

I am quite surprised to see you waited 2 years and took BIG risk on trusting someone for that long.

You should have splitted the payment to milestones.

Well...**Edited for Community Guidelines** Second, I was trying to feed my kids and keep my house. I found out THIS WEEK that these people came from Upwork. And, I know the agency that might have hired them. Just wanted to ask questions to see if they could be found. It's not about recovering the money so much as it is finding the actual clients. No need to be rude which y'all seem apt to do.

Can't say I'm surprised...

Hi Patton,

I'm sorry you weren't paid for the job you did. However, as others noted on this thread, Upwork doesn't have control over what users registered on the platform do outside of the platform. I'd also like to note that it's not against Upwork ToS for freelancers to subcontract on their fixed-price contracts. 

If you'd like to report a freelancer or a job posting for possibly violating Upwork ToS, you can use the steps outlined in this help article or send a private message to me or Aleksandar. The team will review, however, for privacy reasons we won't be able to share the results of the review. If there is a need to request information about another user, our subpoena protocol will need to be followed and it's outlined here.

I hope this information helps.

~ Valeria
Upwork

You really expect me to retain legal representation and subpoena you to determine if someone violated your terms of service? Really???

You're joking.

What I need to know is...if two people whose emails I have were subcontracted through the site and by whom.

I don't want to ask the BBB to get me the money back. I want the information so I can ask the client of perhaps I could work for them now. What you're not understanding is that you look heartless and pitiful in all this.

So what's the problem other than you're unwilling to let me know if these people USED you're platform. That's it. That's I really need to know. I can even SHOW you the content I wrote and YOU can see is it matches up with a client.

Again...not hard. You're just being rude because you can hide behind a computer.

It's **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Those two guys. It appears they were hired on upwork and then hired me outside the platform. Again...this should not be difficult.

re: "I don't want to ask the BBB to get me the money back."

You can read about the BBB here.

Patton:

Everybody here in this thread is on your side. We are sorry about what happend. But:

- it didn't happen on Upwork

- it has been 2 years

These are two unsurmountable facts.

I have a phrase I use to describe people who owe me money for work I did more than a month ago:

"people who don't owe me money"

Patton H wrote:

I don't want to ask the BBB to get me the money back. I want the information so I can ask the client of perhaps I could work for them now. 

Are you sure that the freelancers who hired you didn't defraud the client as well? By identifying yourself as having been a part of their team, you could get yourself into more trouble.

And while I understand your frustration, throwing a fit online (hiding behind the computer as you say) won't help. I am still not entirely sure what it is you wanted Upwork to do anyway. Check to see if e-mails match up with users? That just seems like a breach of personal data.

petra_r
Community Member

Patton H wrote:

You really expect me to retain legal representation and subpoena you to determine if someone violated your terms of service? Really???.

Yes.

Patton H wrote:

You're joking.

No.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths