cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delay before funds released from escrow appear under "Get Paid"?

jszwarga
Joel S Member Since: Apr 3, 2018
1 of 10

My client released escrow funds to me this morning. When I go to my settings under "Get Paid", a balance of $0 is showing. Where is the money he released? does it take 1 day to show up before I can pay it to my ach account?

cylver1z
Community Guru
Ryan C Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
2 of 10

Hello Joel,

I just checked your account and I could see that your earnings are still in Pending phase. Your earnings will be available after the 5-day security period. You may check it by going to your Reports > Overview. Thank you!

Untitled
jszwarga
3 of 10

Ok thank you for responding.

How do I turn off the security period for in the future?

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
4 of 10

You can't turn it off. 

jszwarga
5 of 10
Please help me understand why does waiting 5 days to get my money improve security
g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
6 of 10

Hi Joel,

This is our standard security period for all payments. Our team always is looking for new ways to shorten this period and keep the same level of security.

~ Goran
Upwork
a03e689a
Tresenia G Member Since: Sep 20, 2021
7 of 10

So in essence you hold our money even when the client agrees the milestone was met with no dispute.  Why?  It seems like you get the interest float and we have to wait to be paid.  Doesn't seem like a fair way to process.  How does that protect me as the freelancer?

tinker_bell3
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
8 of 10

Hi Tresenia,

The security period applies to all payments and refunds on all contracts. It gives Upwork time to process and clear the payments, and resolve any disputes before funds are released to freelancers.

~ Joanne
Upwork
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 10

Tresenia G wrote:

How does that protect me as the freelancer?

It is not designed to protect you as the freelancer, it is designed to protect Upwork and clients from fraudulent activities.

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
10 of 10

Tresenia G wrote:

So in essence you hold our money even when the client agrees the milestone was met with no dispute.  Why?  It seems like you get the interest float and we have to wait to be paid.  Doesn't seem like a fair way to process.  How does that protect me as the freelancer?

Upwork's terms of service are clear as is the payment schedule. Surely you can find some other way to gain clients and process payments if the current system is unsatisfactory. 

Have you done any research? Do you have any proof as to your claim that Upwork earns interest while handling payments? Have you found another platform that pays immediately? 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS