🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: I feel like I got scammed...
Page options
hswalton2001
Community Member

[Delete]

I posted this message and the third reply to it out of bigoted fear and now that I think about it...it's very embarrassing. I don't want to leave my post here. There is no delete function, so I've replaced the original text.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Haileigh W wrote:

In case I did get scammed, I deleted the files sent for one of the clients in messages, but they can download that and save it and it'll be pretty much for free. I don't know what to do.

You weren't scammed. It is utterly unacceptable to accuse clients of being scammers with screenshots showing the clients' names!!!

You need to do absolutely NOTHING. You tracked your time, so the client will be charged automatically this afternoon UTC for any hours worked last week. Like always. How in the world could those clients have scammed you?

Resend the files immediately and edit your post to remove the screenshots!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Haileigh W wrote:

In case I did get scammed, I deleted the files sent for one of the clients in messages, but they can download that and save it and it'll be pretty much for free. I don't know what to do.

You weren't scammed. It is utterly unacceptable to accuse clients of being scammers with screenshots showing the clients' names!!!

You need to do absolutely NOTHING. You tracked your time, so the client will be charged automatically this afternoon UTC for any hours worked last week. Like always. How in the world could those clients have scammed you?

Resend the files immediately and edit your post to remove the screenshots!

I'm... sorry I seemed so close-minded. I've only been on UpWork since about February so I'm still a little scared of actually getting scammed.

Haileigh W wrote:
I'm... sorry I seemed so close-minded. I've only been on UpWork since about February so I'm still a little scared of actually getting scammed.

It's very difficult to get scammed on hourly contracts when you track your time correctly.

Relax, the clients will be charged in a few hours.

Since you are developing creative works, anything you make belongs to you unless you are paid for it. The worst-case scenario for you is that you'll spend some time creating a design, won't get paid and have a new sample for your portfolio (just remove or replace the client's logo/name).

A few of my early writing samples are from situations where I wasn't paid for one reason or another. 

Off topic: I am the parent of an artist and understand that entering the business world as a creative can be tumultuous. I recommend that you seek out online artist communities where you can learn how to grow your business from people who have BTDT. My daughter has received amazing advice on how to negotiate commissions, what to charge for her work, etc. from the people she's met. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths