Community Guru
Signe J Member Since: Jan 29, 2016
1 of 21

[deleted]

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 21

I don't bid a whole lot but just won an enterprise Pro client (w00t stoked!) and got a response from the other open marketplace bid I put in a few days ago. Seems like she's going with me but communication is slow and that is worrying me. If she does, it'll be my first contract on my new rate that's gone through.

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
3 of 21

I have lots of invitations but no hires. I had raised my rates considerably prior to the announcement, so I can't say the lack of a "yes" from the client is due to the announcement. My responses to invitations usually include a rate well above what is being offered because I am busy.

tilka_b
Nertila B Member Since: Jul 13, 2015
4 of 21

Should the new rate fees apply if you start a contract in June? Congrats by the way

lysis10
Community Guru
5 of 21

@Nertila B wrote:

Should the new rate fees apply if you start a contract in June? Congrats by the way

For new contracts, they apply now. I'm not messing with a lower rate just to tell someone in June that they are going up. Just starting now and saving myself the hassle.

For existing customers, yes I will apply them in June.

Just told a customer from last year that the cost he sent me was on my old rate from last year. I raised it at the first of the year and then told him that it will go up again in June. That wasn't fun! But oh well had to be done.

I think I'm keeping my old rate for 2 customers that basically keep me fed and throw me tons of work. 1 is def over $10k and the other is almost there if not there already. Everybody else has to feel the pain along with me. 😄 

tilka_b
6 of 21

Schermata 2016-05-05 alle 19.26.21.png

According to the official email, active contracts (that means the one that you are currently working) will still be charged 10%. Let's say you start a new contract in the last week of May, it will still be charged 10%. 

P.S: i have still the same issue like you, I closed successfully the first phase of interview with an Upwork Enterprise, Hopefully, they will start the contract before June *crossing fingers* 

lysis10
Community Guru
7 of 21

@Nertila B wrote:

According to the official email, active contracts (that means the one that you are currently working) will still be charged 10%. Let's say you start a new contract in the last week of May, it will still be charged 10%. 

P.S: i have still the same issue like you, I closed successfully the first phase of interview with an Upwork Enterprise, Hopefully, they will start the contract before June *crossing fingers* 

Right. And then the contract closes and you then have to tell the client on the next contract that it's gone up by $10/hour. If I sell 10 new clients this month, I have to tell 10 people next month "oh, price hike." When you do that, you run the risk of losing people. So, if I sell them on my new rate now, I know they are OK with the new rate and don't have to deal with that nonsense.

Not worth the hassle when I can charge them my new rate now and just drop the bomb on current clients.

Also, I will increase revenue for myself this month and then next month hopefully have some people on the higher rate to cover possible losses on smaller contracts. My estimation is that I will lose on small contracts but win with larger contracts that generate over $500, so ultimately I will come out ahead and make more revenue. 

tilka_b
8 of 21

Exactly, it's the right move, increasing the rate now so you won't drop a bomb to your clients next month.  (that's what I did too) 

lysis10
Community Guru
9 of 21

@Nertila B wrote:

Exactly, it's the right move, increasing the rate now so you won't drop a bomb to your clients next month.  (that's what I did too) 

Yep! Better to just get it out of the way now and make some extra money for the month.

Like Upwork, I think I actually take a hit on smaller contracts. I upped my one-off rate to $85/500ish words. This added $20 to my standard hourly rate, so around 1.25 hours total time for that 1 contract. However, the time it takes to sell the client, talk to them, deal with revisions, and then wait for money is a loss I believe from my end on top of the standard writing hour. And lots of people want you to read references and whatnot. This ultimately takes longer than 1.25 hours. And I get hit a lot with these clients 1 week after I've submitted, so I have to refresh my memory on the project when I revise. Communication usually isn't the best with these contracts because it's just a one-off and not a huge priority for them.

With larger clients where I charge them 3 hours for 1000-1500 words, I have a lot more play with time and the 3 hours represents half a day's billable hours for me. And then increase that for a 10 hour project and I have plenty of time and income to really focus on the project. 

tilka_b
10 of 21

However, you are slightly wrong. Upwork will charge 20% for any clients. 

Let's say you have 10 small contracts (closed) with the same client, and you earned less $500 overall. If you start a new contract with the same client, that becomes the 11th contract. here it's the trick. Upwork will still charge 10 %  and not 20%. 

Upwork will charge 20% for any NEW CLIENT, not new contract s 🙂

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS