Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Deleted]

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
11 of 21

@Nertila B wrote:

However, you are slightly wrong. Upwork will charge 20% for any clients. 

Let's say you have 10 small contracts (closed) with the same client, and you earned less $500 overall. If you start a new contract with the same client, that becomes the 11th contract. here it's the trick. Upwork will still charge 10 %  and not 20%. 

Upwork will charge 20% for any NEW CLIENT, not new contract s 🙂

I did say I was gonna rock the change an make more money. 😉

I look at my revenue as a whole and not "oh this client has x amount with me so I will discount things just for him." I treat clients as income not friends.

Although, again I have 2 where I will charge my current rate because they are pretty awesome and I would kick myself if I lost them. 

tilka_b
Nertila B Member Since: Jul 13, 2015
12 of 21

and you are doing it right. 🙂 

lysis10
Community Guru
13 of 21

I think if freelancers sat down and did some numbers, they could actually make more from this change and if you have a hard time with excuses, you have a great excuse - it's upwork's fault! 😄

aresearch
Robert Marshall K Member Since: Oct 24, 2015
14 of 21

Hopefully, the change will work out well for you.

My invitations and offers have been in free fall ever since moving from Elance, where I enjoyed reasonable success. In my primary area of Web research, clients seeking anything but the cheapest rates have all but disappeared, especially over the past two months or so.

Most of my jobs are <$500 with non-repeat clients, so I see nothing but lost income from the change. Given the difficulty in finding new jobs, raising my rates does not seem feasible. I'll just have to tighten my belt until I can build up more business outside the platform.

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
15 of 21

@Nertila B wrote:

However, you are slightly wrong. Upwork will charge 20% for any clients. 

Let's say you have 10 small contracts (closed) with the same client, and you earned less $500 overall. If you start a new contract with the same client, that becomes the 11th contract. here it's the trick. Upwork will still charge 10 %  and not 20%. 

Upwork will charge 20% for any NEW CLIENT, not new contract s 🙂

No, it has nothing to do with old or new clients either. It's about lifetime billings per client.

If you've made less than $500 from that one client and he hires you again on a new contract, as of June 1st you will pay 20% on everything you make until you hit $500, for every $ over that threshold you will pay 10%. 

Also, it will stay 10% for Enterprise clients after June 1st. Even if you have billed more than 10k. 

P.S. the current fee structure will only apply to ongoing (active) contracts.

tilka_b
Nertila B Member Since: Jul 13, 2015
16 of 21

Thank you. now i think i am a bit more enlightened, esp about the Enterprise client. It's a goal I have had since I got to be top rated (dont see it now, it dropped significantly after 5 idle contracts) 

jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
17 of 21

Well Thursday was always the best day, I was awarded most jobs on Thursdays. Today hardly any RFPs were posted.

lysis10
Community Guru
18 of 21

@Joachim M wrote:

Well Thursday was always the best day, I was awarded most jobs on Thursdays. Today hardly any RFPs were posted.

It's Cinco de Mayo here so lots of parties and drinking. Slow day here in the states.

May and June has been traditionally slow for me though. 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
19 of 21

I'm really not sure. There are flurries and slow periods and I haven't identified a pattern yet.

mfmaxwell
Community Leader
Fernanda M Member Since: Apr 10, 2016
20 of 21

Not from my side, I'm hands full Cat Very Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS