Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Deleting Bad Reviews - A discussion

Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
41 of 63

@Frank S wrote:

I believe there should be some sort of option for at least reviewing and possibly changing reviews that are less than accurate.

In my situation, a client actually gave me a good review, but he didn't hit the fifth star correctly and only highlighted a portion of it, giving me a review of 4.3 instead of 5. I've seen this issue on other sites as well. If the star isn't hit correctly it isn't completely highlighted.

My client as since gone out of business and I can't reach him to correct his mistake. As a result, I have a success rating of less than 90%. All my other clients have given me 5 stars.

I have no way of correcting this issue. A bit frustrating..


That's not quite how the star ratings work. Clients have the option of rating on full stars - 1 through 5 - just like you do when you leave feedback for a client. They can't "only highlight part of a star". The reason you see less than 5 stars is that in the individual categories required when leaving complete feedback the client rated you less than 10 stars. 

Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
42 of 63

I feel like reviews should disappear or at least be archived after a certain amount of time - maybe a year? - but I don't think reviews should be done away with entirely. After all, the client needs some way of knowing whether the FLer tends to do good work and follow up on his/her promises. 

 

What if there was a limit of time reviews stayed up? Like I said, a year? Or nine months or something? (Personally I think it would have to be greater than six months in order to describe "recent" work. That's just my take.)

 

I do think it's unfair to permanently penalize, so to speak, a FLer but again...the clients do need something to go on...KWIM?

Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
43 of 63

Melanie, whenever I've hired on behalf of clients I have never looked back further than a handful of reviews. Reviews from a year ago don't hit my radar. They hit the JSS, which I do look at, but actual reviews aren't something I bother to look at that far back.

 

I'm of the mindset that everyone fouls up now and then - whether that means actually doing a less than stellar job or simply choosing to work with a bad client (yes, that includes the ones that you didn't know were bad at the outset). Either way, the result is a low scored review. If that happens and the person is top rated, that feedback can be removed. If that happens and the freelancer hasn't achieved top rated status yet it's a real bummer, but it may also signal other things like someone who isn't ready for online freelancing for one or more of myriad reasons. If it happens more than once, I wouldn't consider hiring that freelancer. I wouldn't take that chance for my clients. 

Active Member
Frank S Member Since: Jun 20, 2017
44 of 63

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks. Wonder how I screwed up? This is the review they left, short but they sounded happy: "Fast turnaround, great quality final product"

Since I rarely get on this site it's not that big of a deal, but, being the perfectionist I am it just sort bothers me that someone wasn't 100% satisfied.

 

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
45 of 63

Frank, if you click on the job title on your profile, you'll get a slide-out that shows how many stars the client rated you in each of the six categories.

 

Feedback in the 4s doesn't necessarily mean the client wasn't satisfied and probably doesn't bear worrying about, but since it seems to be bothering you, you can at least see which category the client rated you less than 5 in.

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
46 of 63

@Frank S wrote:

I believe there should be some sort of option for at least reviewing and possibly changing reviews that are less than accurate.

In my situation, a client actually gave me a good review, but he didn't hit the fifth star correctly and only highlighted a portion of it, giving me a review of 4.3 instead of 5. I've seen this issue on other sites as well. If the star isn't hit correctly it isn't completely highlighted.

My client as since gone out of business and I can't reach him to correct his mistake. As a result, I have a success rating of less than 90%. All my other clients have given me 5 stars.

I have no way of correcting this issue. A bit frustrating..


 How do you know that client didn't intentionally drop a star?

Active Member
Frank S Member Since: Jun 20, 2017
47 of 63

You're right, that could be what happened. But, the review they wrote was a good one. Complemented my work, said they were very happy with everything and were extremely happy with how fast I turned the job around. It just didn't sound like a review from someone who was unhappy with me.

But, who knows, eh?

Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
48 of 63

@Frank S wrote:

You're right, that could be what happened. But, the review they wrote was a good one. Complemented my work, said they were very happy with everything and were extremely happy with how fast I turned the job around. It just didn't sound like a review from someone who was unhappy with me.

But, who knows, eh?


You never know. Some people really can't bear to come right out and disappoint/anger another person. Probably not the best way to operate - being cheerful to the dissatisfying party, then turning around and quietly docking stars - but people are people after all. 

 

I don't think you'll ever know unless you outright ask and honestly, if it were me, I wouldn't want to do that because I wouldn't know what way to put it that wouldn't have the slightest trace of pushiness or whininess to it in even some small way...and I'm a writer. I'd just let it go.

 

ETA: Just saw your other post. DON'T take it to heart. Maybe you did do an amazing job. I have one ongoing client (not via Upwork) who routinely changes details of my posts to something that sounds like an 8th grader wrote it. This client believes it sounds "so much better" with these "changes"...so be it. Smiley Happy I mean what can you do? Do your best and be polite and professional and turn in your best work. The rest really is up to interpretation, human nature, having just had a fight with the wife, and/or goodness knows what else.

Active Member
Jason L Member Since: Mar 7, 2018
49 of 63
I agree. I am new to upwork, and have had a wonderful experience with three other contracts. Now I just completed the work on a contract and the client is refusing to pay the final mile stone, after making me do more work than agreed to, and criticising my work in a way I am not used to. I will happily put this behind me and continue using upwork, but I am concerned about negative feedback.
Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
50 of 63

@jason L wrote:
I agree. I am new to upwork, and have had a wonderful experience with three other contracts. Now I just completed the work on a contract and the client is refusing to pay the final mile stone, after making me do more work than agreed to, and criticising my work in a way I am not used to. I will happily put this behind me and continue using upwork, but I am concerned about negative feedback.

He isn't mentioning feedback, is he?

 

Is he asking you to change the work you've done? Are they reasonable changes within the scope of the project? Are these actual errors (your responsibility) or is it some other reason?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS