cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting Bad Reviews - A discussion

Jason L Member Since: Mar 7, 2018
51 of 63

I did not say the client asking for corrections was innappropriate.  I said it isn't fair that one angry client giving negative feedback can stall the career growth of an excited young freelancer such as myself. 

Maciej R Member Since: Feb 10, 2017
52 of 63

Like in any business negative comments are awful for your work and PR, we as freelancers should have the power to delete negative feedback and I don't understand why it's not implemented. No company/individual would post negative feedback on their busines sites, one of the reasons is, people are not objective and take things completety out of context, often it's not the designers fault, in my case for example I spend weeks comunicating to the client, waiting for answers, delivered original hand drawn concepts and worked within the guidelines only to learn at one point in the middle that the client wanted me to EXACTYL COPY the design he sent me in his inspirations. I refused and then got a bad comment that's staying there on my profile. 

All of us should be allowed to be able to monitor and edit our profiles to help us get work more consistently and let clients decide if they want to work with us based on our portfolio and pitch not on comments someone left behind. 

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
53 of 63

@Maciej R wrote:

freelancers should have the power to delete negative feedback and I don't understand why it's not implemented.

And maybe sellers on Amazon should be able to remove bad feedback too, right?

Wouldn't it kinda defeat the purpose of feedback?

You had a bad experience. I understand. Please note also that top-rated freelancers can request the deletion of one feedback every 10 jobs (and every three months I think?)

Beyond that, and set aside some unfortunate bad experiences, there are truly bad performers on Upwork. Thank Whoever that clients still can leave appropriate feedbacks!

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
54 of 63
they deffinately should have the ability to remove one or two bad feedback per year, as one angry client harmed my reputation signifigantly.  This particular person was very unproffesional, difficult to work with, made several attempts to get my work out of contract, and finally refused to pay the final milestone after I delivered the work.  

Her negative feedback affected my score signifigantly, and I would very much like the opportunity to protect my reputation form such vengeful clients.

Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
55 of 63

@0558cbf4 wrote:
they deffinately should have the ability to remove one or two bad feedback per year, as one angry client harmed my reputation signifigantly.  This particular person was very unproffesional, difficult to work with, made several attempts to get my work out of contract, and finally refused to pay the final milestone after I delivered the work.  

Her negative feedback affected my score signifigantly, and I would very much like the opportunity to protect my reputation form such vengeful clients.

Hi, Jason. Well, we do have that ability, if we're Top Rated. I think it's one deletion per three months plus 10 jobs completed (can't really remember), but that's for just this reason: you can be a great freelancer but get just one awful client who's unpleasable. It happens.

But it should happen rarely, and we need to prove ourselves pretty stellar otherwise, hence the waiting requirements between these. IMO this all makes sense. If you're getting spectacular reviews otherwise and are only encountering a horrific client one-tenth or less of the time that sounds about right to me. Actually, I've encountered awful clients far less than that. I can think of literally just one in a year of being on Upwork. And actually, that client wasn't vengeful per se; just wanted work way out of scope and to receive free work.

56 of 63
I can appreicate the importance of rating a freelancer so the clients can make an informed decision about the skill and proffesionalism before they fund the safepay balance, but I am not a top-rated freelancer.  I am new at freelance writing, and deffinately have some growth areas.  I have recieved feedback which wasn't stellar, but was at least fair and understandable, but the client I am describing was not fair in any way, shape or form.  She took advantage of me.

As a non-top rated freelancer, I would appreciate the opportunity to redeem my reputation. 

A one time feedback removal is my request.

Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
57 of 63

@jason L wrote:
I can appreicate the importance of rating a freelancer so the clients can make an informed decision about the skill and proffesionalism before they fund the safepay balance, but I am not a top-rated freelancer.  I am new at freelance writing, and deffinately have some growth areas.  I have recieved feedback which wasn't stellar, but was at least fair and understandable, but the client I am describing was not fair in any way, shape or form.  She took advantage of me.

As a non-top rated freelancer, I would appreciate the opportunity to redeem my reputation. 

A one time feedback removal is my request.

Hi again, Jason.

The point is, we ALL had to go through this. Smiley Happy You are no less behind the 8-ball or at a disadvantage than any other new freelancer. We all had to learn the ropes, probably make mistakes, and many of us redeemed ourselves, so to speak, by making smarter choices, doing as kick-A a job as possible each and every time, and earning great FB.

On the other hand, if you were to have your bad FB removed, you'd be at an unfair advantage over the thousands and thousands of other new freelancers who never had that opportunity.

You have the same resources as anyone else, and you can bring your score up.

You say, "I am new at freelance writing, and deffinately have some growth areas." There you go. You aren't top-notch yet. And clients need to know that, too. I'm not being harsh. Again, everyone needs to learn and grow. But clients also need to know whether they're getting a seasoned pro, a total noob, or someone in between. They have that right to know before hiring (or at least to come as close as possible to knowing).

I realize you feel taken advantage of. Part of that is making smarter choices. Vet your clients. Every single one. Make sure they have enough FB for you to get a general idea of how they operate. And make sure that FB is great. If not, move on.

I get that in the beginning, we're all anxious to get any FB at all, so we may choose less than stellar clients. But that's part of being valuable too: knowing what choices to make. UW partially rates us on how well we handle contracts. While anyone can run into a bad apple, as an overall thing this comes with time, experience and a lot of reading. Keep reading the pitfalls, make smart choices, and you have a better chance of not being taken advantage of in the future.

Jason, you've got this. Don't quit, keep doing kick-A work, vet your clients and you are already ahead of the curve. A lot of people give up. Don't be one of them. You can bring things up and you can become Top Rated. (While that isn't necessarily the brass ring, it delivers that benefit of deleting the very occasional bad apple, which is why I'm noting it.)

Ace Contributor
Rabia A Member Since: Apr 13, 2011
58 of 63
@Noah L I totally agree with you.
Bad reviews even if one or two stay there and damage your online reputation, doesn't matter if the client was wrong or unprofessional.
It's really unfair for freelancers working here for so many years, previously top rated and one recent bad feedback ruins everything. It becomes so difficult to get a new job, as you are judged for your latest feedback. And it impacts your JSS tremendously.
There should be an option to delete a negative feedback, at least for freelancers that have been doing business here for many years. There is no protection for freelancers, whatsoever.
Beth B Member Since: Feb 21, 2019
59 of 63

" If a freelancer made a mistake and has learned from it, the mistake will still affect them for a whole year. After a year, let it go..."

Really? Are you kidding me? Why would you automatically assume it's the freelancer who has done poor work, or has made a mistake?  I think the term "Freelancer" needs to be tossed in the trash and another more professinal term needs to be incorporated.

We, run our own businesses which means we are our own employer. People looking for help with projects forget that and at times try to take advantage, or don't look at us as professional. If they were walking into a physical business they wouldn't behave in such a way. We all come in contact with these types of clients. I do my best to stay away from them and move onto the next. However, they slip in every now and then.

Unless the work is complete **Edited for community guidelines**, or some other misshap occored that truly warrented a bad review, I think we should be able to delete a "personal" bad review vs. a "professional" one. 

Paul O Member Since: Nov 8, 2019
60 of 63

In my case;

The client directed me to the online site where i completed the steps required successfully and was congratulated by the site review team for a job well done. I then notified the client immediately a day before a very tight deadline (i.e. submitted details as per the contract requirements). It took eight days for the client to approve work or reply to my inquiries/messages. Having done similar jobs in the past, my previous clients had approved work almost immediately, since task is simply to check the site to verify that the job complete; which wouldn’t take a minute.
Anyhow, back to this client, on the eight day, the work was approved and with a 3++ rating (lol).
Several things i could not understand from this client; given that I ensured I communicated the start of the job, the progress and completion.
First, it took over a week reply to my inquiry messages or to approve a job that normally is approved immediately, as per my previous clients (since it entails just checking the site to verify that the job is complete or in this client's case asking the Review Team).
Second, the Online Site Review Team indicated that the job done was superb yet the client review indicates otherwise.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS