Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delivered hourly based work to client but he is not responding

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Kashif A Member Since: Dec 2, 2015
1 of 25

Hi all,

I am working on a task where the deliverables are blog posts. This is an hourly task. Initially the client has allowed manual submission of hours but since I have submitted first blog post, the client has turned off manual submission and stopped responding to my communication.

I have raised the issue to Upwork support and I was told that I should use the Desktop App to record hourly tasks - which means sharing my screen in form of screen captures. Since the client is not responding, I asked Upwork support to request the client to respond - nothing as yet.

I have delievered several blog posts to clients before and they were cool with manual submission of hours since writing a blog post requires research, writing and revisions and as I work with multiple clients at a time, it was not feasible to allow screen capture. 

Can the community let me know the way forward with this? Shall I end the contract and let the client enjoy a free blog post? What can I do to get my hard earned money from this unresponsive client?

Thanks

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
2 of 25

Have you logged any hours using the TimeTracker app? Or have you only submitted hours manually?

Has the client closed the project, meaning you cannot invoke TimeTracker to record any time on this project?

I think most freelancers work on mutiple projects at a time. You'll have to get in the habit of invoking TimeTracker when you begin work on an hourly project and stop tracking when you stop working. There is no other good alternative if you're going to do hourly projects on Upwork. (Some people do fine with manually adding time. For others, it means dishonest/unhappy/clueless clients get free work they never pay for.)

Ace Contributor
3 of 25

I have not logged the hours via Time Tracker. I was planning to add manual hours once the content (blog post) is delivered but now the client has turned off manual submission.

Project is open but manual submission is not allowed. 

The fact that I would like to highlight is that initially manual submission was allowed but it was turned off by the client on submission of work.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 25

You should not contact Customer Support about something like this. There is nothing they can do.

Learn the rules of hourly contracts. The client did not break any rules. You made a mistake  The client does not owe you money.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 25

Manual time was allowed, but you chose to NOT record your time immediately.

That was one of your mistakes.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 25

Even if manual time is allowed on the contract (it is by default) - I would never use manual time without discussing this with the client first. It sounds like the client was NOT OK with manual time after all.

Why would you contact support about this?

What should you do now? If you have more work to do, do your work and track your time. That is what you are meant to do for hourly jobs, unless you discussed manual time with the client in advance.

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
7 of 25

If you did the work as agreed, the client owes you money.

Under Upwork's rules, however, you have no way to make the client pay you and Upwork will not intervene to help in any way. That isn't how manual time works on Upwork.

NEVER use manual submission of work time on an hourly project on Upwork unless you know and completely trust your client.

Ace Contributor
8 of 25

>> NEVER use manual submission of work time on an hourly project on Upwork unless you know and completely trust your client.

This is the lesson I have learned after providing 400+ hours of work here. Never trust a stranger. 

Ace Contributor
9 of 25

You should not contact Customer Support about something like this. There is nothing they can do.

Really? So what is the function of support if they can't support the freelancers in securing payments after a work is legitmately done?

Learn the rules of hourly contracts. The client did not break any rules. You made a mistake  The client does not owe you money.

And what mistake I made exactly? The manual submission was allowed and client took it back when I submitted the work. Do I have to charge hours first and provide work later?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 25

Kashif A wrote:

And what mistake I made exactly? The manual submission was allowed and client took it back when I submitted the work.

Re-read this thread again, carefully.  Think about it.

If you still have any questions then, let us know.

In short - if you need security - use the tracker.

If you don't need security, use manual time and accept that you may not get paid and if you don't get paid you can't go running to anyone to fix it for you.

Take responsibility for your own business. **Edited for Community Guidelines**

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS