🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » 'Deposit This Check' Scam Circulating
Page options
j-t-smith
Community Member

'Deposit This Check' Scam Circulating

A few days ago, I submitted a proposal for a job offering $30 an hour. They messaged me asking for an interview and linked me to some strange messaging site I'd never seen. I thought 'all right, this seems too good to be true but I'll take a crack at it'. The interview was over text (red flag) and took about an hour. The next day they sent me hiring documents that looked very legitimate and asked for a digital signature. I complied and sent the documents back. They then told me I'd need specific products for the work (Macbook, iPad, various software, et cetera). Claimed they would send me a check over email for $2,399 to purchase all of the things they listed. Insisted that I used mobile deposit and asked me to send a screenshot when I was done. Waaaaait a second, hold on - that got sketchy fast. Please do not accept any forms of payment outside of Upwork that require any of your information or ask you to deposit a check.

Luckily, I called my bank before depositing although at that point I was pretty much done with this guy anyway. Read more about this type of scam here.

Again, be careful out there. 

1 REPLY 1
JoanneP

Hi Jacob,

I'd like to look into this for you. Could you please share more information via PM by clicking on my name? Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members