🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Desktop App - Can you turn off the screenshot...
Page options
berg_shari
Community Member

Desktop App - Can you turn off the screenshot function?

Just started using the desktop app for a new client.  Do I have to allow it to take screenshots of my computer? I've worked with other platforms and none of them required screenshots when clocking time. 

10 REPLIES 10
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

And I'll bet the other platforms don't have a payment guarantee for properly tracked hours.

Actually, they do.  One of the other platforms is very responsive in protecting its freelancers and it doesn't require random screenshots. It also was turning on my webcam, which I did not realize.  I figured out how to turn that off, but I wasn't happy that it was turning it on without first notifying me. I see zero reasons for Upwork to justify turning on my webcam to record me sitting here (sometimes in my pajamas) while I'm working. It's creepy and intrusive. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Shari,

The Camera Snapshots feature is optional and disabled by default. If you choose to enable the camera, snapshots (not video) will be uploaded six times an hour. You can delete the camera snapshots from your Work Diary without changing the time segment’s activity. You can check this help article for more information. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Bojan,

Is Upwork's hourly payment protection in effect if the Camera Snapshots feature remains in its default disabled setting?

And is payment protection for a project in effect if the freelancer deleted camera snapshots taken in related to time worked on that project?

Hi Will,

Camera Shots feature isn't a Payment Protection requirement, which you can view in this Help article.

Camera shots can be deleted only as part of the whole time segment in the Word Diary and can't be removed separately. That means that the whole segment will need to be deleted.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

I agree. If an employer needs this level of detail they are not qualified to estimate the hours or hourly rate for their project to engage in the first place. Let alone select a freelancer who is a person undertaking the work as they see fit. Being questioned about what I was doing every 10 after the fact is a joke. It is intrusive and just like I do not appreciate having a manager stand over my shoulder in the office, I appreciate this even less.

Completely agreed. If they trust us to do our job we were hired for, they need to trust that we're getting everything done in a timely, efficient fashion. I think they'd be able to tell if we weren't doing our job propoerly or slacking by the outcome of our job duties. Almost feels as if we're in school with a teacher over our shoulders. 

Mary V wrote:

Completely agreed. If they trust us to do our job we were hired for, they need to trust that we're getting everything done in a timely, efficient fashion. I think they'd be able to tell if we weren't doing our job propoerly or slacking by the outcome of our job duties. Almost feels as if we're in school with a teacher over our shoulders. 

Try being a client on this site and having a freelancer charge you for time not spent working on your project. The screenshots are for payment protection. If you don't want payment protection then use manual hours and the client can dispute whatever they need to. As a freelancer, I've used manual time and the time tracker. I've never had a client dispute either. I also don't care if they take screenshots while I'm working on their stuff because there is nothing to worry about, since I'm working on their stuff. 

phprule
Community Member

In an office setting a manager is not always standing and looking over your shoulder to make sure you are doing what "you are paid to do". Are they? It's the same reasoning. If one cannot trust the freelancer they choose, why on earth bother hiring one?

JoanneP

Hi Shari,

The Upwork Time Tracker App takes random screen captures six times per hour—once per 10-minute billing segment. You can read this help article for more information. To make sure that you are covered for Upwork payment protection, you have to ensure that your hours meet the criteria for hourly protection. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members