Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop Tracker and Privacy

pastore-teri
Teri P Member Since: Sep 24, 2018
1 of 9

Hey Folks,

Just completed my first weekly payment job, and I didn't use the Desktop Tracker. I know it's a risk with respect to assuming my client will pay me, and I did test the app after installing on my computer.

Here's the thing:  I asked permission to "take over my computer."  I said no thanks.  

I am not comfortable with the security around an app having control of my computer and transfering information to a cloud. I am fine with a screenshot app with only permissions to capture screen images but not "take control of my computer."

And, now, since I said no, I am at risk of not being paid, but I kept a very specifc work diary, and kept in contact w/my client on Messages, and sent work on Messages.

Your thoughts?

Thanks so much!

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
2 of 9

I don't know about the app "taking over" your computer, but booking manual work hours is a very, very bad idea if you'd like to get paid for all of your work on Upwork projects.

You should not plan to do hourly projects on Upwork if you are unwilling to use the Upwork desktop app to keep track of your work time. Stick to projects with milestones only.

pastore-teri
Teri P Member Since: Sep 24, 2018
3 of 9
Ok...

Does anyone know about the app security as far as projecting privacy? What, exactly, is transferred from my desktop; what is the security protocol?

Thanks much!
aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
4 of 9

Hi Teri, 

The Upwork desktop app is designed for collaboration and Payment Protection. Everyone can use it to send Messages. Freelancers also use it to log time on hourly contracts. Please know that manual time does not qualify for Hourly Payment Protection.

You may read Section 5. Privacy and Security of the 'Upwork Team' Software License Agreement for your reference. 

~ Avery
Upwork
browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
5 of 9

Everyone has their own level of comfort. I've been using the tracker for years and I will continue to use it. For me the rewards outweigh the risks. It's fair to look at it as you want, just be aware of the risks. If you are okay with requiring clients to allow manual time and taking on the risk they will default on payment, then you are good to go.  I am not being sarcastic here. It's a very valid trade-off if doing so with full knowledge of the potential ramifications. 

a_kuntsi
Ace Contributor
Anneli K Member Since: Aug 1, 2018
6 of 9

Take over your computer how?

I guess it doesn't do more than take screenshots. Am I wrong?

I understand today anything is possible but regardless of that, I guess the desktop app doesn't do more than take those screenshots and track time. 

I trust Upwork and therefore am pretty comfortable using their app.

I might be missing something here though.

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
7 of 9

Hi Anneli, 

Other than the screenshots, it also tracks user activity (such as keyboard strokes, and mouseclicks) that is noted in a user's Work Diary. 

For everyone's reference, I am sharing this thread where Vladimir has explained in detail what the pop-up question is for, in case someone wants to read further. 

~ Avery
Upwork
a_kuntsi
Ace Contributor
Anneli K Member Since: Aug 1, 2018
8 of 9

Thank you for information, Avery.

I didn't know it also tracks user activity. Not a problem to me as I actually work when I track time Smiley Happy

I just don't recall seeing that kind of "take control of your computer" message/warning/pop up.

In the thread, you linked some mention they have used the tracker for months or even years without seeing that. 

What happens if you click "deny"?

g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
9 of 9

Hi Anneli,

Nothing will happen if you click deny, the Team app has two technical approaches of getting random screenshot and user activity and will still use one of them to record your time. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS