🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Desktop app Mac ver login error "Unknown erro...
Page options
eslam-khalil
Community Member

Desktop app Mac ver login error "Unknown error has occurred" !

Hello,

I'm having signnig  in problem for like 2 days now on my IMac and gives " "Unknown error has occurred" error!
i was having the same problem with windows but after updating to the latest the problem solved but remains in OSX.

Things i've tried but ended with fail results:
- Installed latest stable and beta ( seperatly each one at atime ) .
- Tried other connections .
- Removed any installed upwork apps then restarted and installed again .
- Checked firewalls .

Here is a screen shot with terminal and using " uuuuuu " as username , it gives the same error on any input value !

Thank you .

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Steps suggetsed by Upwork support team that worked and solved the problem :

1.) Please exit the Upwork Desktop App from your system/device.
2.) Open the terminal app
3.) Then run this command> mv ~/Library/Application\ Support/Upwork{,.bak}
4) Then start again 

View solution in original post

87 REPLIES 87

Hi Klaris,

Did you tried to follow our troubleshooting steps:

• 1.) Please exit the Upwork Desktop App from your system/device.

• 2.) Open the terminal app

• 3.) Then run this command> mv ~/Library/Application\ Support/Upwork{,.bak}

• 4) Then start again 

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi, this is not working for me as well. 

Hi Julida Anne,

Have you tried previously shared troubleshooting tips shared on this thread? If yes, please share more information with us about the issue you're experiencing so that we can assist you accordingly.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Yes. I have already uninstalled and installed back the Upwork tracker App and it still doesn't work.

Hi Julida Anne,

Could you please try Troubleshooting tips shared in this help article.  If the issue persists, please report it following ''How do I report a problem?'' section of previously shared Troubleshooting guide, and our team will assist you directly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
kk87
Community Member

Hi, I am facing the same issue on my Macbook Air latest version Cortana. Please help me/ generate a Ticket for me. Many thanks in advance.

Kamal K. 

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Kamal

Could you try to follow our troubleshooting steps below:

• 4) Then start again 

Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi,

I'm also encountering the same problem. I tried clearing caches and install then re-install the app but no avail.

Please let me know how do I fix this.

Thank you! 

Hi Dana,

• 4) Then start again 

~ Goran
Upwork

hello,

i am getting the same message on my Macbook even i tried installing the beta.

need help please.

thank you

Hi Catherine,

I checked the screenshot you sent and it seems that you are still using the old app version as the login screen is not being displayed as in the latest version. Could you please go to the app Settings > Advanced and click on the 'Clear Cache And Restart' button to see will that resolve the issue? Please note that clearing the cache will erase your preferences, any cached time, and your list of previous memos. You can go ahead and download the latest version (just in case) on this page.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
leticiamartina
Community Member

I can't access the upwork tracker app (version 5.3.3.862) in Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS, I already updated, I saw more similar entries and I don't have any solution, could you help me?

• apparently in the application icon you can clear cache, reboot and that way you can login
pnanayakkara1
Community Member

This morning my upwork desktop app does not open.  Just used it yesterday and it was fine.

Contacted support and I uninstalled and re-installed twice.

Sometimes it shows time tracking info screens where you click next.  When you click the final screen it just stops there.  This is sometimes.  

Most of the time it shows the hourglass for a second and then does not open.

Anyone else have this problem?

Hi Purnima,

Please check the tips shared by the users on this thread. If the issue persists, please consider following up on your open ticket and kindly communicate with our team through that ticket if you have any questions, in order to keep all the information in one place.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Issue persisted for 3 + hours and I lost a morning's worth of work trying to get this working again.  I of course logged a ticket, that is the first thing I do with any issue.  The problem was that it took constant pushing via chat to get it looked at.  

The 3rd agent was the magic bullet.  She suggested I look in the system tray whether the upwork icon was running.  It was.  I was then asked to click on that and go to settings and logout.  

Once that was done I clicked on the application icon and logged back in.  

I was then able to see my contracts again.

I wish the first two agents were able to suggest this instead of uninstallig and re-installing the app.   Most of my time was spent waiting on the chat for support to respond and trying to see if other versions of the app or settings on my OS would work.  

I hope Upwork adds this solution to their technical help docs so that people can try this to start with.  The support agents were polite and tried to help, but did not have the training I felt.   Usually any other questions regarding upwork - how contracts work, how to cancel an invoice etc - get answered promptly and very well.  This desktop app is critical to track time, so it is important that the support is up to speed on common issues.  This is the second time I had problems with this app, which caused me to lose hours with a client.

I finally got an amazing agent Angelica, who within minutes and a few questions was able to get me going.  Thank you to Angelica at Upwork!

I'm also experiencing the same problem today. Although for me, it says "An unknown error has occurred." I've updated my computer software, uninstalled and reinstalled the desktop app, and nothing. What can I do to resolve? I need to do work for a customer.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sari,

Could you please check the tips shared by the users on this thread? Let us know if the issue persists so that we can assist you further.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thank you, the trick with reloading the app from system tray works! Nothing else (reinstalling the app, beta version, terminal command) didn't work. You saved me so much time!

Hello,

I am a coder. I am coding in Visual Studio Code .

A long time ago, Sometimes, the tracker stops working and it automatically restarts.

Now, the issue has been resolved.

Thanks,

**Edited for community guidelines**

madmayweb
Community Member

This worked as far s the unkown error message is gone but now it just spins and spins and never actually logs me in... 

Hi Julie,

I would just like to confirm, do you mean that you are not able to log in using the desktop app?

~ Joanne
Upwork
reserpa
Community Member

Hi!
I had uninstalled, deleted the icons, installed again, reboot the computer. And it's still happening, Someone can help me?

Thanks!

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Renata,

Could you please follow the instructions below:

1.) Please exit the Upwork Desktop App from your system/device.
2.) Open the terminal app
3.) Then run this command> mv ~/Library/Application\ Support/Upwork{,.bak}
4) Then start again 

If you`re still experiencing the same problem after this, let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi,

Having followed the instructions above I still get the unknown error message.

Any further advise would be really helpful. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Anna,

Could you please share with us your OS version so that we can assist you accordingly?

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

works, thanks

> mv ~/Library/Application\ Support/Upwork{,.bak}

I got this 

Graces-MacBook-Pro-2:~ gracedalvin$ > mv ~/Library/Application\ Support/Upwork{,.bak}

-bash: /Users/gracedalvin/Library/Application Support/Upwork: is a directory

Graces-MacBook-Pro-2:~ gracedalvin$

Does it looks right? 

Because I have done this and restart the app I am still getting the same error. 

Hi Grace,

I checked and it seems that you already chatted with our support team and the issue should be resolved. Could you please let us know if you still need help with this?

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
cbpmendoza8
Community Member

It worked for me when I typed the code manually with no spaces in between the characters ie.  >mv~

When I copy/pasted the code, it returned "not found in directory" but and I still can't log in. When I typed the code manually with no spaces in between the characters, I was able to log in when I launched the Upwork app again.  

pixeldesignn
Community Member

I did fix this issue my self . here is the details 

On my macbook I deleted the app from applications folder and then searched (via mac os search bar) and deleted any mentions of upwork on the computer. After reinstalling the upwork application it's work fine 🙂 

shamancv
Community Member

hi, can't login via desktop app (macos), I tried with email and username, displaying "An uknown error has occurred".

Hi Alexander,

Please follow the instructions I`ve shared in my previous post here. If you`re still experiencing any problems after this, let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
9e3a1115
Community Member

Hello i am unable to login my account desktop app, tried in Desktop(pc) And laptops ubuntu ? Could any one help me out

Hi Hemant,

Could you please try the troubleshooting steps I`ve shared in my previous post here? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
ninacabeza
Community Member

Hi Upwork,

I'm using a Mac and it seems that your desktop app does not support Catalina...? I can't log in. It just says, "An unknown error has occurred." Please help. I have an active contract which has a deadline in 2 weeks.

Thanks!

Hi Nina,

• 4) Then start again 

Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
zozuliadv
Community Member

Hi Dmitro,

Could you try clearing your cache and cookies or logging in with another browser? Could you also confirm if you`re still unable to log in? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

It is desktop app, not browser

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members