I need to start an urgent contract and the desktop app does not show the active contracts. I fact, even the field were it usually shows the contracts is missing, as the attached screenshoot shows.
I already unistalled the app and installed it again and the issue persists :/
Any suggestions, please?
**Edited for community guidelines**
Solved! Go to Solution.
Could you please try the troubleshooting tips shared in this help article. If the issue persists, please report it following the ''How do I report a problem?'' section of the previously shared troubleshooting guide, and our team will assist you directly.
the contract runs from July 2018, but today it has disappeared in the linux application and cannot be selected.
I checked and the contract is active.
the freelancer profile is active, the profile is public, the freelancer was verified a few months ago.
reinstalling the application and restarting the computer did not do anything.
trying to install the application on another computer did not work either.
other freelancers who work in this project didn't occured similar problems.
Filip, Agency owner.
I would like to confirm that it is possible for this to be an issue. Our team is investigating this at the moment and will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible to assist you further. Thank you.
I tried restarting app, installed beta versions and installed both 32 bit and 64 bit still dosent show the contract. i even deleted the upwork data folder from below location
and then reinstalled upwork, still dosen't show the active contract