cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Details sharing

Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
11 of 15

The problem with being online is that the insular, soliphistic nature of it all means you tend to lapse into self-parody after a while. That's the problem with too many young people today, because they are literally the center of their online world, they tend to believe that they are really as interesting as the 'likes' they get from people they probably wouldn't recognise in the street suggest.

Community Guru
Aleksandra K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
12 of 15

“That's the problem with too many young people today” is this a general statement or are you referring to my post?

Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
13 of 15

I mean, with no reference to anyone in particular, is that when we (people) have the world at our fingertips, it actually makes us more introverted and, as a result of this, our online personas tend to become exaggerated versions of ourselves.

Since I am a little older than the era of microcomputers, being a relatively old 41, I am, at some level, aware of this and try to mitigate my online behaviour accordingly. Too many young people born into the digital age, in contrast, see the virtual world as 'real' and assume that their online persona is how people percieve them in the real world. This has led to a ridiculous situation whereby people only do things in order to post pictures and statuses of themselves doing it.

It has also led to a situation where we feel fully (if erroneously) in control of our online lives in a way that we have never had (or should have) in the real one. We feel completely liberated online; as though we are absolved of any responsibility. This, I feel is profoundly unhealthy, and I think its having a desensitising effect on humanity.

However, no offense intended, it's a slow day for me, so I've been musing about the internet.

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
14 of 15

Glad to see Ramon, after reading all your haikus or whatever, that you are still capable of producing incisive, intelligible and thought-provoking commentary. An excellent analysis of the subbject IMHO.

Community Guru
Santiago G Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
15 of 15

@ Abdul

Take the given advice of delete it, unless you needed it for your work, and move on with your day.

@Ramon

Seems someone keeps deleting your posts. Not entirely sure why but oh well. I seen many of your posts. They seemed fine to me. I know a couple of them that got me laughing!! Thanks !!

Wait, you mean no one truly cares when they click the Like on my posts about how I got sick or when I got hit by a truck, or when I posted pics of my food, or when I mentioned that I was feeling sad, or when I died twice (on accident of course) or that my hair is feeling longer and weird, or that my toenail on the left side of my right foot seems different today, or when my cat moved... somehow, or when my car didn't move because I wasn't in it and it wasn't started, or when I post some other impressively vague and/or completely pointless nonsense about me? Huh, who'd of thought it ?!!

Smiley LOL

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS