Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I Take the Right Decision?

husainaa
Community Leader
Husain A Member Since: Sep 26, 2017
31 of 36

@Davide O wrote:

Did I read that right? 0.015/wd? Not 0.15/wd? Are fractions of a cent that common for beginner translators? That's pretty insane.

With that said, you have to be hypercritical about yourself sometimes, and realize your limitations.

I know it's easy to play the "I know everything and you have no idea about this whole thing" card, and I wouldn't blame you for using it...but at the same time, some things are on common-grounds for all fields of freelancing: If you're looking for premium payment, you have to offer premium services, and if you can't offer those, then you'll have to settle for something lower...just don't undersell yourself; You're not cheap, nobody wants to be cheap.

Your case, for example: He said that 0.015 was his maximum, and since that was definitely out of question, you did the right thing by refusing, since it wasn't "on par" with your rates; You could try to "negotiate" a little longer, maybe by explaining in depth the benefits of your services compared to what he/she might find for that low price, out there...but sometimes it's better to let those clients go and move on.

The lower the pay, the riskier the job.

On point, I did not shun him from the start, instead, I told him I'll translate a segment of the document, so he can get a taste. When I did send him the sample, I could tell he was impressed, and had a feeling he's going to accept my rate, but all he did was add $0.005. That is actually insane when you think about it. I am glad I made the right choice. Thank you for giving your opinion; it was an invaluable one.

husainaa
Community Leader
32 of 36

@Jennifer D wrote:

Husain, I'm a translation client and let me tell you frankly that Arabic is my least favorite language to hire for. Whenever I have listed an Arabic translation job I get absolutely inundated with very low quality proposals. There is a huge pool of people who speak Arabic in developing countries who try to find translation work here because they think they can speak Arabic so that's all the skills they need.

You may also find yourself at a disadvantage because you speak Lebanese Arabic. Most clients looking for an Arabic translator will be looking for someone to translate into Modern Standard Arabic. Even though I'm sure you can translate into MSA, most clients would be looking for someone from a specifically MSA country like Egypt or Saudi Arabia.

Your profile is pretty good. I think you need a stronger portfolio (as others have suggested). And make sure you focus on writing really excellent proposals to stand out from the horde of low-quality Arabic translators.

I attest to this. Most profile pages I have seen confirm that. Just yesterday, I found myself reviewing the profile page of a freelance translator who had a track record of well over one hundred projects, a top-rated badge, and a job success score of 100% and his English was [something that violates Upwork's community guidelines]. It blew my mind away and I don't mean that in a good way. However, I'm not sure I know exactly what you're talking about regarding Modern Standard Arabic. No country I know of speaks MSA; they have all developed some sort of slang language, including Egypt and Saudi Arabia. (Keep in mind, for the most part, that is where I did all my studies.) Having lived among them, I know that for a fact.

sivavranagaro
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
33 of 36

How much time do you need to translate text consisting of 1000 words?

I write for example 45 words in minute. I would need about 30 minute to write 1350 words. My hourly rate is $32 and $15 per half an hour would be acceptable for such writing. Though, translation is not just straightforward writing, isn't it?

34 of 36

@Vesna M wrote:
 Though, translation is not just straightforward writing, isn't it?

Oh God no, It is especially difficult when I am translating to my nonnative language. It depends on a variety of factors, but just to give you an idea, a page of two hundred words generally takes a beginner around an hour. As you can see, It's nothing like writing.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
35 of 36

@husain A wrote:

@Vesna M wrote:
 Though, translation is not just straightforward writing, isn't it?

1) Oh God no, It is especially difficult when I am translating to my nonnative language. It depends on a variety of factors, but just to give you an idea,

2) a page of two hundred words generally takes a beginner around an hour. As you can see, It's nothing like writing.

1)  Again, you should not translate into a language you are not at native level at. 

2) I agree it is nothing like writing, but anyone who takes an hour to translate two hundred words of general text needs to think of something else to do.... My hourly clients would almost certainly shoot me if they only got 200 words for their $ 40......

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
36 of 36

Hi all,

I'm closing this thred for new comments, thank you for participating.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS