🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Did I just get scammed?
Page options
wanwang27
Community Member

Did I just get scammed?

Hi! Some context, there was this job offer for an NFT artist and I was interested so I applied. The client responded to my proposal and told me to draw example illustrations as a test. So I did and I drew 2 monkey illustrations and sent it to him. Later on he tells me that I was the chosen artist for the job and asked me to draw 1 more "sports themed" monkey illustration, and I did. Sent it to him and haven't received another response for 3 days, even though it had seemed like he was in a hurry, telling me he needed the illustrations done fast.

And like a stupid idiot, I didn't think of putting labels or watermarks on my drawings. At this point they might have been sold at some marketplace. And I don't have a social media account where I post my drawings. Is there any way to report this client?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "The client responded to my proposal and told me to draw example illustrations as a test."

That is inappropriate.

It is a violation of Upwork ToS for a client to ask freelancers to work for free.

This client should not have asked for custom illustration work.

The client should have looked at your portfolio.

YOU (as the freelancer) technically did not violate Upwork ToS. But what you did was NOT helpful. You worked for free.

Don't work for free.

re: "And like a stupid idiot, I didn't think of putting labels or watermarks on my drawings."

Don't put labels or watermarks on your drawings.

I can remove your labels or watermarks without any difficulty.

Just don't work for free.

re: "And I don't have a social media account where I post my drawings. Is there any way to report this client?"

You may go to the job posting page and click on the "Three Dots" icon and select the "Flag as inappropriate" option..

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 7.53.03 AM.png

...and report. There is a specific radio button for "asking for free work."

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 7.53.13 AM.png

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "The client responded to my proposal and told me to draw example illustrations as a test."

That is inappropriate.

It is a violation of Upwork ToS for a client to ask freelancers to work for free.

This client should not have asked for custom illustration work.

The client should have looked at your portfolio.

YOU (as the freelancer) technically did not violate Upwork ToS. But what you did was NOT helpful. You worked for free.

Don't work for free.

re: "And like a stupid idiot, I didn't think of putting labels or watermarks on my drawings."

re: "And I don't have a social media account where I post my drawings. Is there any way to report this client?"

You may go to the job posting page and click on the "Three Dots" icon and select the "Flag as inappropriate" option..

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 7.53.03 AM.png

...and report. There is a specific radio button for "asking for free work."

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 7.53.13 AM.png

Preston H wrote:

I have to disagree. I wouldn't necessarily add a watermark that a program adds automatically, but a watermark that I'd place myself in Photoshop. I might be able to remove it, even without much difficulty, but it would be a pain. So at least you'd make the guy work for the free art.

Thank you Mr. Preston for the detailed steps , and also to everyone who posted their replies in this thread. While it was naive and stupid of me to have let myself get ripped off, at least this would serve as a major learning experience for me and will increase my precautionary measures against shady clients. One last thing, I don't want to generalize all clients who asks for samples as scammers. If other clients do want me to provide a sample, what should I do to minimize my chances of getting scammed again? Aside from putting my own watermark and whatnot.

Christopher K wrote:

One last thing, I don't want to generalize all clients who asks for samples as scammers. If other clients do want me to provide a sample, what should I do to minimize my chances of getting scammed again? 

Clients who ask for a sample to be created for their specific job post are violating Upwork's terms of service and you may inform them that you'll be very happy to create a custom sample at your usual rate of $XX. 

If clients don't accept that, report their job post as inappropriate, choosing "asking for free work" as the reason.

There *IS* no situation where asking for free work is appropriate.

Got it, thank you very much Ms. Petra!

2e395a62
Community Member

Christopher K wrote:

it had seemed like he was in a hurry, telling me he needed the illustrations done fast.

He didn't lie to you - he was in a hurry, he needed the drawings and he got them from you. Case closed, mission completed. 

You've just got robbed. Fix yourself a drink, read carefully Preston's advice and move on, this time not bothering with offering free work of any kind. 

Good luck with the next client!

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Did I just get scammed?"

Yes.

This client never had any intention of paying you any money.

It did not matter how good you "sample" work was. The sample work is what the client wanted to obtain from you. This person isn't a real client, but is a scammer who tricks freelancers into working for free and then sells the work the freelancers provide to him.

The GOOD NEWS for you is that you still own the work that you did, because the client didn't pay for it. You may post the artwork in your portfolio, or sell it, or do whatever you want with it.

re: "...telling me he needed the illustrations done fast"

Well, I suspect that is just a standard scammer technique to instill the situation with "urgency" and make the mark more likely to comply.

It "This person isn't a real client, but is a scammer who tricks freelancers into working for free and then sells the work the freelancers provide to him." I hope Upwork will soon remove him from access to future free work from freelancers.

But it looks like Upwork needs to attach a clear pop-up for new freelancers saying something like, "Do not work for any client until there is contract for the job on Upwork's system and sufficient funds are in escrow if a project is fixed price."

There are a lot of things that new freelancers need to know.

I have always advocated additional training requirements for new freelancers, as a prerequisite to gaining full access to the platform.

A new popup? There's a limit to how many popups Upwork is likely to present to new freelancers. I think a lot of the new freelancers aren't going to read the popup anyway.

I'm basically resigned to the idea that there are freelancers who simply must pass through certain crucibles of pain as part of their "dive-in, instruction-averse" learning curve.

Preston H wrote:

There are a lot of things that new freelancers need to know.

I have always advocated additional training requirements for new freelancers, as a prerequisite to gaining full access to the platform.

A new popup? There's a limit to how many popups Upwork is likely to present to new freelancers. I think a lot of the new freelancers aren't going to read the popup anyway.

I'm basically resigned to the idea that there are freelancers who simply must pass through certain crucibles of pain as part of their "dive-in, instruction-averse" learning curve.

Could we just get a required readiness test prior to sending the first proposal? No pop-ups needed. 

I don't think there's any exam, readiness test or pop-up that substitutes for learning by doing on Upwork. It's a steep learning curve, and even when you think you know the rules they can change with no particular notice.

Preston H wrote:

I don't think it's usually the case that new freelancers do free work because they're uninformed; most of them must realise that there's a good chance of being ripped off, but they're willing to do it anyway if there's even a tiny chance of being hired. They're ready to agree to just about any conditions in order to land their first job, and all the pop-ups in the world aren't going to change that.

As being guilty of stupidity and letting myself be robbed here, I can second the opinion that no tests or pop-ups will stop newbies from doing crazy moves to land a job. It's not an easy place to navigate and create an untamed flow of jobs coming, especially when you are new, with no history on UW. So, folks do what it takes (and more) to get these first contracts and feedbacks. 

Although there is one thing that could be done - unless it has already been done but to find it you need to flip through tons of available guides on the side. This thing would be a very simple, bullet-point type of extract from ToS in a way of Dos/Don'ts for new freelancers. I once bought an ironer in the UK, opened an owner's manual (I am one of the very few men on earth who actually RTFM), and loved the introduction that read something like: "If you want to know about all the bells and whistles of this product, you are welcome to read the whole booklet, but IN CASE YOU JUST WANT TO START IRONING, here's what you need to do" 🙂 Maybe we need something like this here, too. 

wanwang27
Community Member

Hi everyone, first of all sorry to  bump this thread again, but I just got a message from the "client" after I reported the job offer and it went down shortly after.

Attached is the message from them. How do you think I should respond? I'm thinking of accepting it as long as I don't have to do more "samples".

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Christopher,

Please keep in mind that sharing private details publicly in the Community is not allowed and it is in violation of our Community Guidelines. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

re: "Attached is the message from them. How do you think I should respond? I'm thinking of accepting it as long as I don't have to do more 'samples'."

Christopher:
If the client contacted you and has made it clear that he wants to abide by Upwork rules and pay you for your work, then I don't see a problem with you accepting a contract with the client.

If you have any uncertainty about this client, be sure to only accept an hourly contract. And do not use manual time. That way you can follow the rules for Upwork Payment Protection, and obtain the highest certainty possible that you will get paid for your work.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members