cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did Upwork just remove the option to hide jobs from your feed? What's up with that?

Tim F Member Since: Sep 5, 2015
1 of 25

Since this morning's down time for maintenance, I've noticed that in my job feed I can no longer delete/hide jobs. It used to be that I would click the little x just to the of the "save job" button, and the job would disappear from my feed. This allowed me to move through my feed without scrolling down constantly, and view a number of jobs quickly. Now I have to scroll the whole way down, and then press to load more jobs. It's never been that great to search for jobs on Upwork but now it's really annoying. Is this the case for other people too?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 25

Yeah, Tam removed it until he has a chance to get it to work right.... Permanently.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
3 of 25

I can't even get to my job feed page. I keep getting directed to my messages.

Community Guru
Alexandra H Member Since: Jul 30, 2015
4 of 25

Yeah, noticed it this morning.

Look on the bright side: you can still hand out Hearts.

The loop -- when jobs come up again after a few rounds of 'load more jobs' -- is rather funny too.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 25

Hi All,

Please, refer to this post from Tam for more information.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Employee
Tam L Employee Member Since: Aug 31, 2015
6 of 25

Hi Tim - 

You bring up a great point/use case: even though the hide function wasn't working as intended, it allowed you to not scroll. So the real issue is - how do we make it easier to scan through jobs more quickly? 

Hmmm...

I have a few thoughts here, but was wondering if you/the community had any ideas or examples here (I'm a bad use case because I read faster if the page is moving). 

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
7 of 25

@Tam L wrote:

Hi Tim - 

You bring up a great point/use case: even though the hide function wasn't working as intended, it allowed you to not scroll. So the real issue is - how do we make it easier to scan through jobs more quickly? 

Hmmm...

I have a few thoughts here, but was wondering if you/the community had any ideas or examples here (I'm a bad use case because I read faster if the page is moving). 

Tam,

Tim is right. If as you say "the real issue is...how do we make it easier to scan through jobs more quickly," the best way to manage a feed is to be able to immediately (and permanently, as has been discussed) dismiss the irrelevant: click/swipe, gone! If the feed team wants to save me further time, stop recommending me (for example) translation and administrative assistant jobs, in which no part of my profile indicates an interest.

Moreover, scanning and quickness are not the real issues. Can you distance yourself from the current Upwork mantra that fast hiring is good hiring? I understand that there are industries that have good reasons to scale their staffing up and down, and hence clients who will value speed, given some baseline level of competence. For my business, and largely for the editorial and publishing industry, speed is the enemy of quality, and consequently the enemy of client satisfaction.

Best,

Michael

Employee
Tam L Employee Member Since: Aug 31, 2015
8 of 25

Hey Michael - 

Haven't been here long enough to buy into any sort of 'mantra'  =)

And having paid someone to remodel a bathroom over the past year, I can't really disagree. 

For my business, and largely for the editorial and publishing industry, speed is the enemy of quality, and consequently the enemy of client satisfaction.

I take this to mean, from a hiring perspective, you want more quality candidates to choose from, as opposed to sheer volume. Am I offbase here? If that's the case, and I'm asking out of pure curiosity, why did things like 'Best Fit' (before my time) not meet your expectation? Perhaps I'm confusing the two issues, but, as always, I'm enjoying/appreciative of you (all of you) taking your time to share your POV & insight. 

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
9 of 25

"If that's the case, and I'm asking out of pure curiosity, why did things like 'Best Fit' (before my time) not meet your expectation?"

Quite simply because, however good an idea it might have been, the algorithm churned out useless rubbish which was little better than random. It was retired (a rarity on here); but still a major failing with this site is that the majority of its algorithms that are supposed to be smart enough to recommend relevant jobs to specific people, and vice versa, simply do not work. They churn out irrelevant, ill-matched rubbish which not only wastes time, but annoys and irks clients and freelancers alike.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
10 of 25

Tam,

'Best Fit' was before my time, too. I defer to Stephen's response, which is consistent with every client-contractor matching scheme I've seen on Upwork or Elance.

To paraphrase my earlier remark more specifically for this context: Hiring and bidding in the traditional publishing world, and in my academic subspecialty, demand precision, and will value that over speed any day of the week.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS