cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did Upwork just remove the option to hide jobs from your feed? What's up with that?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
21 of 25

In the interest of fairness, let me point out that I receive a lot of invitations, and I would say that 95% of them are completely legitimate, decent jobs. I would guess that about half are a good fits for my skills and interests.

But I don't have any way of knowing for sure if the invitations I receive stem from the auto-recommendation feature, or if they come from clients searching in some other way. Most of these invitations are associated with jobs wherein there are only one or two candidates.... Not ten. So I am thinking that these invitations probably did not come from the auto-recommendation feature. But maybe some of them did. I usually don't look at the poor fit jobs closely. Maybe if I looked at them closely I would see that they consistently have ten invitees.

Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
22 of 25

I wish I had your luck. The almighty algorithms keep sending me rubbish like this:

matching.JPG

There is nothing in my profile to suggest I'd be even remotely interested in this kind of cheap junk. In fact, reviewing my stats, the jobs I've managed to find on Upwork have paid somewhat better rates on average than the ones I had on Elance, so it should be clear from the work I'm actually doing that I'm not looking to churn out sweatshop novels at pathetic rates.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
23 of 25

re: "so it should be clear from the work I'm actually doing that I'm not looking to churn out sweatshop [romance] novels at pathetic rates."

So if I understand you correctly, you're saying you can't do these jobs because you've never been in love?

Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
24 of 25

@Preston H wrote:

So if I understand you correctly, you're saying you can't do these jobs because you've never been in love?

Love is a rare and precious thing, and as such shouldn't be valued at $30 per volume. $30 per hour, possibly, but we may be drifting out of the realms of freelance writing there.

comes.JPG

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
25 of 25

Ankh-Morpork! Kudos for that!

Talking about the hide-feature and algorithms, what I just want to add to the conversation is that when you get that hide/delete from feed thingie working properly, please don't attach any algorithm to it that will automatically start hiding jobs that are like the ones I've already hidden. Which I am sure someone will think is a good idea. But I work as a Finnish - English translator, and I get a lot of jobs in my feed for things that have absolutely nothing to do with my skills, but that show up because the client mistyped finished... 

Not to mention that as said before, the algorithms here are kinda soddy anyway. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS