cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Did new policy took place ?

Ace Contributor
Sheikh Ahsan A Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
1 of 19

I had new that after 16/11/2014 no one can place bid below $3.00/hr in oDesk. But I am not seeing any change of this rules. People still bidding lower.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Manish A Member Since: Nov 4, 2014
2 of 19

Yeah you are right, it doesn't seems to be in effect, I can also see bids close to $0.50.

Even I am able to bid less then that.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
3 of 19

Hi Sheikh and Manish,

Although freelancers can bid below $3/hour, clients will not be able to make an offer for less than $3/hour to freelancers they haven't had contracts with before. I hope it clarifies the policy a little bit.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
4 of 19

I'm a little confused by this.

Are you saying that even if a freelancer makes a bid of $1.00, that freelancer still can't be hired for less that $3.00 (assuming the freelancer has never worked for that client)?

If that's the case, why not just stop freelancers from being able to bid less than $3.00?

Community Guru
5 of 19

WOW! My post has been removed.

Great.

Community Guru
Junelle A Member Since: May 31, 2009
6 of 19

David, i guess they're thinking like our government: instead of banning cigarettes, they simply increase sin tax and hike the prices. Smiley Tongue

i know, sorry, wasn't an appropriate explanation. i just couldn't figure it out myself (and i have a feeling oDesk doesn't either).

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain." - Maya Angelou
Try harder, or care less.
Ronnel D Member Since: Nov 16, 2014
7 of 19

Hello Valeria,

I think this is a mistake. I was hired recently with an offer below $3/hour. In my application, my bid was actually $3, then I received an offer and the client was able to change the terms and made an offer below my original proposal.

Could you please clarify this?

Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
8 of 19

Did you ever work for this client before?

If you have worked for the client before then the client can hire you at a rate lower than $3.00.

If you haven't worked with the client before, when did the contract go through? The new minimum wage policy only came into effect a couple of days ago.

Ronnel D Member Since: Nov 16, 2014
9 of 19

No, he is a new client.

The offer was sent November 16th and I accepted the contract the same day. I was expecting then that the new policy already took place. But seeing the clients STILL are able to make an offer below the minimum figure, I don't think the new policy exists.

Community Guru
10 of 19

Hi, finally got to know, the new minimum rate is not currently in effect due to a bug.

http://community.odesk.com/t5/Announcements/Elevating-our-workplace-with-a-new-minimum-rate/m-p/5615...

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS