cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did the Recession Drive you to Freelance?

prantu
Ace Contributor
Tamal S Member Since: Apr 3, 2017
21 of 28

Well, my story is a bit different. Since I was little, I had a weak point for computers. I didn't have one then, I always check on my siblings whoever had to go to a hospital (well, I feel bad for them now that I'm thinking) so that I could see a computer with my own eyes. Yes, A computer! I could stare at the screensaver of Windows XP for hours and hours and be thinking how this thing even worked!

Moving forward, I got my first computer when I was 14. It was a gift from my uncle for my academic result. Well, from then, I got into programming, learned C, C# when I was 16. So I discovered my passion and decided to go with Computer Science.

In my country, we can not choose our major ourselves in public university (Getting into private university was impossible for me). We have to go through a so called admission test to "test" our knowledge based on Physics + Math + Chemistry + English and they decide our fate of which major should we get.

Well, long story short, I didn't get into CS. I got BECM which is part Architecture and part Civil Engineering. I dumped my passion and admitted into BECM. In the meantime, I learned PHP, CSS, HTML all these Web development related stuff. After completing the first semester, I couldn't bear dumping my passion, So from then, I decided to self-educate myself on CS core beside my current B.Sc degree. So I gathered that if I want to do Masters in CS I have to keep practicing my codes. And that's how I got into freelancing.

I'm almost 22 now, completing my 6th semester (with 2 more left), Top Rated on Upwork and I can't ask for more!

"I'm silently judging your font choice."

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
22 of 28

Tamal, your post might be the first ever on U where the use of the word 'passion' is/was appropriate.

Good for you for doing what you care about and knowing in your heart is exactly what you should be doing.

prantu
Ace Contributor
Tamal S Member Since: Apr 3, 2017
23 of 28
Thanks for the appreciation, Wendy. That's the plan.

"I'm silently judging your font choice."

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
24 of 28

I started freelancing before computers robbed us of independent thinking. But a few years after I set up my own studio and painted for a living, there was a bad recession moment, which is when I had to rethink and recover old skills.

bruce_dodds
Community Leader
Bruce D Member Since: Oct 1, 2015
25 of 28

No one had to drive me to freelance.  I work out of my house.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
26 of 28

@Bruce D wrote:

No one had to drive me to freelance.  I work out of my house.

Image result for badum tss

cdstallcup
Community Leader
Denise S Member Since: Oct 7, 2016
27 of 28

I chose to leave the position I was in at a company where I'd worked 15 years, and the company worked with me to find something else but there wasn't a job I wanted. I ended up deciding to freelance instead. It was a pretty rough learning curve for the first 6 months, but in the last 3 months it's leveled out and I think I can make it work. Part of what I want is to be able to work various hours from 6 a.m. - 10 a.m. (my best hours) and 5 p.m. - 9 p.m. (also my best hours).  And I've realized I was much more of an introvert than I knew, because I'm not missing seeing people every day at all.

I have to be careful not to work 10 hours a day (which comes from me taking on more work than I reasonably should), but I've gotten better at that. All in all, I would not go back to the corporate world unless I was desperate.

Denise

dreddurius
Ace Contributor
Michael P Member Since: Jun 1, 2015
28 of 28

I've been dicking around with the same company website / system for 8 years. Along with corporate politics, these I can deal with. But I noticed that I was slowly losing creative control. So I packed and took the freelancing path.

Fl_box[1].jpg

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS