cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Didn't get email notifications of messages from just one client

zorrillajp
Juan Pablo Z Member Since: Jan 28, 2016
1 of 12

Hi, I had an issue between Friday and Monday. A client sent me several messages, but none of them triggered an email notification, so I only saw them yesterday by chance.

Naturally the client is concerned and inconvenienced, because they had sent me a task to do, and it didn't get done.

I did receive emails alerting about unread messages from two other clients and invitations to interview, as expected.

I use the mobile and desktop apps, plus usually have a messages window open on Chrome. I might have missed the instant notifications, but it's strange that I didn't get the email as usual.

Is this a known problem? It never happened to me in about two years.

Could it be that having the browser open, I had that contact open and it marked the incoming messages as read, even if I didn't interact with it?

I don't think that's the problem though, because between the first message I missed and the rest I missed too, I messaged with other clients. The contact would not have stayed the most recent one. Maybe it stayed on focus in one of the apps?

Do you have any suggestions so I can avoid having this issue in the future?

Thanks!

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 12

Hi Juan,

I'm sorry you missed your client's messages. If you had Messages open and the message room with this client was displayed, their new messages would have been shown there and probably registered as read, in which case a notification wouldn't be sent. Also, it looks like the notifications are working as expected if you have received notification about unread messages related to other contracts at the same time the client in question messaged you.

Untitled
smason3
Ace Contributor
Samantha M Member Since: Dec 11, 2016
3 of 12

I had the same thing happen to me last week, and it wasn't because I had my browser or messages open.

It's the first time this has ever happened to me also. My client was worried about me and sent a follow-up message the next day, which I did receive.

I manually check messages throughout the day now and do not rely on notifications. Extra work on my part, but I don't want to let my clients down.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 12

Hi Samantha,

Could you please submit a support request and specify the message you haven't been notified about, along with the other relevant details so our team could review and advise? Thank you.

Untitled
smason3
Ace Contributor
Samantha M Member Since: Dec 11, 2016
5 of 12

Vladimir –

I submitted a support request, and it has been escalated to the Technical Support Team.

sakter
Saleha A Member Since: Sep 15, 2020
6 of 12

The same happened to me yesterday. My client texted me via Upwok "Messages". But I did NOT get any email notifications about those texts. It could have cost me the contract. 

Below is one of the texts that I received about which I received no email notification:

"Hi Saleha, thanks for this. I’m trying to sort out the payment for the printing but I might also print here and send out
ill be in touch soon about it."

[Text time: 1:01pm yesterday]

bstojadinovic
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
7 of 12

Hi Saleha,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble this caused. The Email notification is not sent if a message is registered as "read". A message would register as "read," when Messages are open in a browser tab or in the desktop app. Did you by chance have Upwork.com open in your browser or had Messages open in the desktop app?

~ Bojan
Upwork
sakter
Saleha A Member Since: Sep 15, 2020
8 of 12

I don't think UpWork was open on the browser. Nor was the desktop app on. May I suggest that your software engineers come up with a solution in which the messages will be considered 'read' only when they are really opened by the contractors? They may do it utilizing click event on the 'messages' page. It's just a 1-2-3 for them, but a life-saver for the contractors.    

tinker_bell3
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
9 of 12

Thanks for your suggestion, Saleha. I'll be sure to share this with the rest of the team for consideration. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
gilbert-phyllis
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
10 of 12

Wow, this is my nightmare. It is one of the most problematic malfunctions that can happen, from the freelancers' perspective. As "one man bands" we must be able to rely on our mobile devices and connectivity, and on notifications that find us and enable us to stay available and responsive to our clients. 

I'm just chiming in here to emphasize how critically important this is, in hopes the engineers will chase down whatever bug is on the loose and fix it promptly. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS