2. oDesk almost all clients with varified payment method

Upwork very few clients with varified payment method

3. No 'top rated' freelancer but jobs were available

Upwork a number of 'top rated' freelancers but crying for job

4. oDesk easy survival in terms of monthly expendetures

Upwork extreme survival

5. oDesk very active customer service

Upwork is there any?

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.
kristenbrady
Ace Contributor
Kristen B Member Since: May 20, 2009
2 of 15

I totally agree. When this was Odesk I made $1000 a week. Now I 'm lucky if I make $1 per week. I haven't pulled in a decent paycheck since March of this year when they made all those changes. Unfortunately, I have had no other choice but to offer my freelance services elsewhere. I used to work on Odesk every day since 2009. Now, I rarely get a job. Too much competiton. And now that Elance has joined....forget about it!

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 15

I must say my experience is different.

I was in a long term contract for the best part of 2 years so didn't take on much else, but I am getting more invites now, and am not finding it difficult to win contracts.

It is entirely possible that I'll be having to set myself to "unavailable" come next week because I'll be at the very maximum number of hours I can bear to work. I may even be above and forced to rethink.

Let's take a look:

1. oDesk less efforts more income

Upwork huge efforts no income

I did have a dip while I re-established myself, but am now working at a higher average hourly rate than before, and find that am winning more contracts from fewer applications. Possibly a side effect of the connects system

2. oDesk almost all clients with varified payment method

Upwork very few clients with varified payment method

I never looked at that aspect in detail before so I'm not sure if there were more clients with a verified mayment method before, but I ee plenty of them in my job feed, and I don't even see the ones without the verified payment method as a negative aspect. Clients without a verified payment method are often new clients, and I love working with new clients. A payment method is quickly verified, it's not a barrier for me at all! There has been extremely aggressive marketing so I would hazard a guess that this brought more potential clients to the site who were and are posting jobs to see what talent they can attract before verifying their payment method. Not a bad thing at all.

If the majority are new clients then that means new clients are finding us which is a good thing, not a bad thing, and there are plenty of well established clients to choose from.

3. No 'top rated' freelancer but jobs were available

Upwork a number of 'top rated' freelancers but crying for job

As mentioned above, I don't find that, personally

5. oDesk very active customer service

Upwork is there any?

Isn't it still the same teams, no? I have not once not had a quick and courteous response from them, before and after. I may not always have agreed with what they told me but they are there, and I never had any reason to complain.

As far as "Elance coming in" is concerned, that is an opportunity, isn't it? That means Elance freelancers, yes, but also Elance clients. More competion,but also more opportunities.

According to the Elance freelancers who write here Elance clients are traditionally more willing to pay higher rates, so whilst there will be more freelancers there will also be more clients and those clients, if what we are told is to be believed, are used to the traditionally higher rates of the Elance Freelancers.

Are there challenges? SURE!! Change is always challenging, in freelancing, in the brick and mortar business world, and in one's private life.

We can choose to accept the challenges, see them as opportunities, evolve, change with the changing environment we find ourselves in, adapt, and grow.

Or we can sit back and complain how much better everything was back in the days of...., not change anything, not rise to the challenges, not evolve,  get dragged, let go, and sink.

Or we can decide that the changes and the challenges mean that a certain situation no longer suits us, and that we need to leave it to grow and evolve elsewhere.

All those decisions are personal, and valid.

We just have to take them, you know?

I look at the "My Stats" page a lot, especially the Marketing Effectiveness part. If I were to fall "below average" in any of those I'd look to change how I present myself.

Marketing effectiveness.jpg

If you find that yours are below the average for your sector, maybe you need to change the way you market yourself to win more contacts?

boshoffirene
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
4 of 15

Well said, Petra.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 15

re:

>> 5. oDesk very active customer service

>> Upwork is there any?

I actually think customer service has improved considerably since the move to Upwork.

Which I resent, because one of my favorite things to do is criticize oDesk/Upwork customer service.

fergusm1970
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
6 of 15

"I actually think customer service has improved considerably since the move to Upwork."

I shudder to think what it was like before, then!

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
michael-remus
Community Leader
Michael R Member Since: May 18, 2015
7 of 15

100% agree, Petra! Just one thing to add. The success in getting jobs does not depend on the number of invites. I received 9 in the past 90 days and only one matched my skills, and I declined it. If you don't win any job, think about your niche, and if you don't have one, find it and select the jobs for your proposals carefully. This avoids the frustration, when you send a lot of proposals without success.

I know it works (till now), and I am sure many other freelancers on Upwork can show a similar a marketing effectiveness.

marketing_effectiveness.png

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 15

Michael, great stuff!

Now some people will look at your marketing effectiveness and whine that they're not getting hired much, others will hotfoot it to your profile to figure out what it is that gets you hired virtually twice (!) as often as the average. I know which camp I fall into...

Your next step might want to be to raise your effective rate to come closer to your profile rate, so you can relax a bit by working less hours but for more money. Or working even more hours and for more money... whatever floats your boat!

anayat-rehman
Anayat Ur R Member Since: Oct 16, 2011
9 of 15

Petra, you and michael are enjoying amazing hiring rate especially in german translation. May be the new system is OK with german to english or english to german translation but, overall freelancers are not happy.

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.
kristenbrady
Ace Contributor
Kristen B Member Since: May 20, 2009
10 of 15

I appreciate the encouraging words. Perhaps you are right. I need to market myself more. Perhaps I've been having the wrong attitude. A defeatist attitude. I need to look at things in a different, more positive light. And turn lemons into lemonade. 

Thanks!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS