🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Difference in proposed rate vs job offer ...
Page options
ginny_somers
Community Member

Difference in proposed rate vs job offer rate

A client accepted my proposal and hired me. But when the job offer came through, the hourly rate was higher than what I had proposed. It was the hourly rate on my profile, not the rate I put in the proposal for this specific job. How would that happen? 

7 REPLIES 7
yitwail
Community Member

Ginny, that seems like a nice problem to have, but perhaps you could discreetly check with the client, and if she’s ok with it, then stand pat?
Community Manager

Hi Ginny, 

On the client side, your profile's hourly rate shows when the offer is being set up. Clients have the option to edit the hourly rate accordingly, but in this case, the client may have settled with your hourly rate. You may discuss this further with your client to see how you can move forward with this. 

If you've already accepted the conract offer, you may change your hourly rate by following the steps noted here. If you will update your hourly rate, I would recommend that you communicate this with the client.

~ Avery
Upwork

Thanks Avery. I didn't realize the client had the ability to change the rate before making an offer. I'm not upset - he made the offer for a higher hourly rate than I proposed (my profile rate is higher than what I proposed for this project) - I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a system glitch or something I did wrong on my end. Thx! 

Ginny, I have a curiosity question.  Why would you propose a lower rate than is stated on your Profile?

IMO it's always best to stay with one's posted hourly rate.  If one charges lower rates; and potential Clients see that information, it can negatively impact fee negotiations with them.  There are those that will assume if a Freelancer takes less on even one project that they will on theirs as well.  

I was wondering the same thing.

The original poster may well have her reasons.

But for me, personally, my rate is my rate. And I don't change it based on the type of work or project.

Avery O wrote:

Hi Ginny, 

On the client side, your profile's hourly rate shows when the offer is being set up. Clients have the option to edit the hourly rate accordingly, but in this case, the client may have settled with your hourly rate. You may discuss this further with your client to see how you can move forward with this. 

If you've already accepted the conract offer, you may change your hourly rate by following the steps noted here. If you will update your hourly rate, I would recommend that you communicate this with the client.

So we can send a proposal discuss everything with the client and then when the client creates the offer it might say something completely different. I would definitely confirm with the client otherwise this calls for trouble. I had the same problem about a year ago. 

Hi Jennifer,

Yes, it's possible for the client to change the rate on the offer. However, the freelancer can and should check all the terms in the offer before accepting it and forming a contract. If any questions arise, they can discuss them with the client in the Messages.

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths