Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different Upwork account, same PayPal account

michael_sorin
Michael S Member Since: Jul 15, 2016
1 of 9

Hello!

I have a question and I post it here hoping that someone will respond with a correct answer. I have an Upwork account as a Book Designer and my wife wants to create her own account as an Illustrator. The problem is she doesn't have a bank account, nor a PayPal account.

My question is: can she use the same PayPal account that I use on Upwork, or she needs to create her own?

Thank you!

Michael S.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 9

Get separate financial accounts.

Upwork uses aggressive automated algorithms to identify individuals who fraudulently set up multiple accounts.

You and your wife are not acting fraudulently, but your digital footprint could be perceived as such by non-human automated algorithms. This could lead to trouble you don't want to deal with.

Upwork REALLY DISLIKES it when contractors set up funds withdrawal methods which don't match the contractor's name or email address.

If you and your wife want to avoid trouble with Upwork, then I advise you to:

a) each person withdraws funds to a bank account on which they are a legal signatory

or

b) each person withdraws funds to their own PayPal account or other financial services account, which is in their name.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 9

Very easily solved:

You can add email addresses to PayPal, most countries allow up to 6 per account.

When your wife has set up her Upwork account, add the email address she uses as her Upwork email address to the existing PayPal account. Confirm the email address from PayPal's side. Then she can add it to her Upwork account.

The other (more obvious) solution would be a bank account in her own or joint names.

There is no problem with husband and wife working on Upwork and there is no problem with a joint bank account provided both names are on the bank account.

Just make sure that you and your wife do not log into each other's account and that the two accounts never "interact" in any way.

karkas44
Ace Contributor
Carlos C Member Since: Apr 23, 2019
4 of 9

Hi, Petra.

I came to this post with the same question and would like to know if it's completely safe to do what you're suggesting. Given that it's been almost nine years since you posted that solution, maybe you have more information on it.

I'm considering doing this with my brother. Do you know if there would be a problem if the name of the PayPal account we both use (mine, with our correspoding email addresses matching the ones registered in Upwork) doesn't have his name? Actually, we both have the same name, but I don't intend to rely on that.

Thank you very much in advance.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 9

Carlos C wrote:

I'm considering doing this with my brother. Do you know if there would be a problem if the name of the PayPal account we both use (mine, with our correspoding email addresses matching the ones registered in Upwork) doesn't have his name? 

No, the details on the PayPal account have to now match the name on the Upwork account. 

Carlos C wrote:

Actually, we both have the same name, but I don't intend to rely on that.

What do you mean you both have the same name? Your parents called both of you 'Carlos'?

karkas44
Ace Contributor
6 of 9

Thank you very much for your reply, Petra.

Yes, our parents named both of us Carlos, different middle name. Although I had forgotten my PayPal account has my middle name in it. I could change it to only have first and last name, but, again, I don't intend to rely on that.

martina_plaschka
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
7 of 9

Carlos C wrote:

Hi, Petra.

I came to this post with the same question and would like to know if it's completely safe to do what you're suggesting. Given that it's been almost nine years since you posted that solution, maybe you have more information on it.

I'm considering doing this with my brother. Do you know if there would be a problem if the name of the PayPal account we both use (mine, with our correspoding email addresses matching the ones registered in Upwork) doesn't have his name? Actually, we both have the same name, but I don't intend to rely on that.

Thank you very much in advance.

I understand 2020 seems like a really looooong year, but 2016 was only 4 years ago, not 9. Anyway, upwork will detect if the same bank account or payment method is linked to more than one upwork profile, so you should avoid that.  

karkas44
Ace Contributor
8 of 9

Hi, Martina.

Thank you very much. Haha, my mistake. For some reason (very strangely) I read "2011" as the year of Petra's reply.

michael_sorin
Michael S Member Since: Jul 15, 2016
9 of 9

Hello and thank you for your answers!

My wife will open her own bank account, just to make sure we don't have any problems.

Thank you again! Have a great day!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS