andrewm_

Different categories

I am new to Upwork.  I want to register on different categories: in Data Analysis (python programming) _and_ Translation. Yes, they are very different categories and I am allowed to select only one in my profile during registration.

If I want to have them both, should I create a separate account for each specialization or would it be possible to add another category after registration?  In the latter case does it matter which category I select to be the first ("leading"?) during registration??

A

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Andrew, Nichola already provided excellent advice. Never create additional accounts on Upwork for any reason. They work hard to detect that and terminate accounts of anyone who does that.

It is easy to set up multiple job skills after your account is set up. You definitely don't need multiple accounts for that.

My advice: You will make more money if you just leave off the translation stuff from your profile. Focus on Python and programming. Translation is extremely over-saturated, competitive and doesn't pay well compared to programming. Unless you are willing to be totally dedicated to translating you will not be among the top in your field and you will not make decent money doing it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
colettelewis

You should be able to add the categories once your profile has been approved.

You are only allowed one user account. Have a look here:

https://support.upwork.com/entries/23065871

And here for categories:

https://support.upwork.com/entries/23105036

And read all the other help pages too, particularly Upwork's Terms of Service. 😉

Andrew, Nichola already provided excellent advice. Never create additional accounts on Upwork for any reason. They work hard to detect that and terminate accounts of anyone who does that.

It is easy to set up multiple job skills after your account is set up. You definitely don't need multiple accounts for that.

My advice: You will make more money if you just leave off the translation stuff from your profile. Focus on Python and programming. Translation is extremely over-saturated, competitive and doesn't pay well compared to programming. Unless you are willing to be totally dedicated to translating you will not be among the top in your field and you will not make decent money doing it.

Hi,

My wife willing to build her career at upwork but she skilled in accounting and data entry. upwork don't accept her account in this catagory. She needs to update her skills but which catagory is perfect for him to accepet/approve her account? she will learn that skills & apply for that. have you any cussation?

Thanks,

Jewel Rana

Hi Jewel, 

I would recommend that you and your wife check out the Upwork Skills Index to know which skills are currently in demand in the marketplace.

~ Avery
Upwork
lysis10

Andrew, I'm in the same boat. I prefer technical writing but when things get slow, I have to fall back on IT related stuff. Plus, the IT stuff in my profile is what sells my technical writing to customers, so it's kinda hard to know what to choose. 

I just got my profile reviewed for being listed in the category section of Upwork. I appreciate their suggestions, but I'm hesitant to change only because it's been working for me.

If you're an Elance transplant, I suggest messing with your profile a bit and seeing what works. I get invites and notifications for both SEO, a little bit of IT scripting and technical writing, which is kinda what I want. I messed with my profile and I still am for the most part. I think it's trial and error when it comes to this stuff.