cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficult, Unresponsive, and Threatening Client

Highlighted
Rebecca B Member Since: Jun 29, 2018
1 of 8

I got hired by this client for a project, and pretty early on it was clear to me that we were going to have some communication difficulties. Not only was he novice with the design process and print requirements, but I hate to say this but "bad taste." Without going into the details, he was not happy with my work and the time it took for me to complete the job, even though I asked repeatedly how much time he wanted me to spend on this job. In the meantime, I responded to him with restraint and politeness and agreed to negotiate a discount. A month went by and I never heard from him. He basically disappeared. So then I closed out the job and gave him a much better public review than he deserved, however, I let Upwork know he was unresponsive.

The day after, I am not kidding, he surfaces with an email basically acting as though no time had lapsed and he was ready to complete the job. Granted, he contacted me outside of Upwork. I went ahead and packaged the job and provided him all the files, since I really did not want to work with this client again. I told him that I had another client commitment at the moment, which was true. He basically then threatened a bad review if I did not complete the project.

So my hands are tied because I am working for him for FREE right now, outside of Upwork (since the project is closed). He is still proving to be difficult to work with, and I feel no matter what I do it's not going to please him.

I am wondering if Upwork contacted him because of my feedback saying he was unresponsive. If so, Upwork, tell me what I should be doing when a client is contacting me outside of the platform, with threats.

Highlighted
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
2 of 8

Hi Rebecca,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you had with this client. Our team will reach out to you directly so that you can share more private details us and we will investigate the client further for violations. 
Regarding your last questions, Clients can only view the public feedback left on the contract but they can`t see the private feedback provided by freelancers. Thank you!

Untitled
Highlighted
3 of 8

Thanks. Can they read my public review before they've given me a review?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
4 of 8

If 14 days has passed since the contract closed, I believe the review window has closed. They client will be able to see your review (but only if they do quite a bit of digging) and they will have lost the opportunity to leave a review for you. 

Were you paid in advance for this "uncompleted" work or did the project just come to a halt?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: May 14, 2017
5 of 8

You mean, after 14 days you can close a contract without risk of being penalized? I have 2 old ones (clients and I were not good match) that I'd love to close, but have been afraid of their bad feedback.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 8

@Virginia F wrote:

You mean, after 14 days you can close a contract without risk of being penalized? I have 2 old ones (clients and I were not good match) that I'd love to close, but have been afraid of their bad feedback.

No, that is not what it means. It means after you close the contract (!) the client only has 14 days to leave feedback. If the client has not left feedback within 14 days of the contract ending, the client can no longer do so.

Highlighted
7 of 8

It was an hourly based project, so no money was paid in advance.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
8 of 8

@Rebecca B wrote:

I got hired by this client for a project, and pretty early on it was clear to me that we were going to have some communication difficulties. Not only was he novice with the design process and print requirements, but I hate to say this but "bad taste." Without going into the details, he was not happy with my work and the time it took for me to complete the job, even though I asked repeatedly how much time he wanted me to spend on this job. In the meantime, I responded to him with restraint and politeness and agreed to negotiate a discount. A month went by and I never heard from him. He basically disappeared. So then I closed out the job and gave him a much better public review than he deserved, however, I let Upwork know he was unresponsive.

The day after, I am not kidding, he surfaces with an email basically acting as though no time had lapsed and he was ready to complete the job. Granted, he contacted me outside of Upwork. I went ahead and packaged the job and provided him all the files, since I really did not want to work with this client again. I told him that I had another client commitment at the moment, which was true. He basically then threatened a bad review if I did not complete the project.

So my hands are tied because I am working for him for FREE right now, outside of Upwork (since the project is closed). He is still proving to be difficult to work with, and I feel no matter what I do it's not going to please him.

I am wondering if Upwork contacted him because of my feedback saying he was unresponsive. If so, Upwork, tell me what I should be doing when a client is contacting me outside of the platform, with threats.

Your hands are most certainly NOT tied. Stop working with this person immediately, and report the threats of bad feedback to Upwork. Feedback manipulation is against terms of service, and by the way, so is working off the platform with a currect client (paid or not).

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS