🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Difficult client - I haven't been hired yet.
Page options
dilan-kothari
Community Member

Difficult client - I haven't been hired yet.

Hey all,

Hope you're all having a good weekend!

So I've been talking to a client about a social media marketing job and we've had 2 calls so far. We verbally agreed that I would do the job but after the second call (yesterday), I don't think I would personally get on well with the client and be a good fit. They seem very demanding and rude from the call I had and I woke up today with some more things they wanted doing which they didn't mention in the calls that we had.

They haven't hired me yet, so I just wanted to confirm that If I let them know that I don't want to work with them, my JSS or profile won't be affected?

Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

Dilan K wrote:

They haven't hired me yet, so I just wanted to confirm that If I let them know that I don't want to work with them, my JSS or profile won't be affected?

Just politely inform the client that you are not available now after all. No, of course your JSS or profile won't be affected.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Dilan,

If you get a bad feeling about a potential new client at any time before you have an Upwork contract in place, politely tell them you don't want to work on their project. You don't need to explain your decision to them.

A client can only leave feedback that affects your Job Success Score if you have both agreed on the terms of an Upwork contract. Once you have a contract in place, they will be able to leave feedback for you. In fact, Upwork makes every effort to ensure each of your clients leaves feedback for you. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

Dilan:
The abbreviation "JSS" was derived from "Job Success Score."

The key word for you to focus on now is "Job."

If you have not officially been hired for a job on Upwork, then there is no way a prospective client can do anything that affects your Job Success Score (JSS).

I always recommend being polite to all clients, even if they behave inappropriately, or are rude, etc.

My recommendation would be to send the client a brief, but clear, final message. Something like:

"Henry:
Thank you again for your interest in working with me. Unfortunately it turns out I will not be available to work on your project. I wanted to let you know this as soon as possible so that you can focus on finding the people you need."

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members