cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficult client; also inappropriate (?)

Highlighted
Angie C Member Since: Jan 7, 2019
1 of 24

I'm working on a fixed-price booklet; the listing implied a length of 10 pages and it's actually 34 - a predetermined length as it's basically a re-creation. I acknowledged that I failed to ask the total length of the booklet (I've been a designer for 15+ years; I know better) but suggested the client suggest a more proportionate price. Though the client ultimately agreed, he first suggested that **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Ugh.

In addition, the client's supplied assets piecemeal over 5 weeks now, continues to delay supplying me with the last few assets and I'm a little concerned about the potential feedback, as he keeps saying he's sent me the missing assets which is incorrect. 

My goal is to wrap this up ASAP.  Once (if?) this happens, should bother writing a truthful (but 100% professional) client review?  If he should give me a bad review, might the Upwork team consider the source (and the inappropriate comment) in deciding whether to let it remain on my profile?

Thanks all!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 24

@Angie C wrote:

I'm working on a fixed-price booklet; the listing implied a length of 10 pages and it's actually 34 - a predetermined length as it's basically a re-creation. I acknowledged that I failed to ask the total length of the booklet (I've been a designer for 15+ years; I know better) but suggested the client suggest a more proportionate price. Though the client ultimately agreed, he first suggested that "Maybe we can do another contract later after this one so it’s worth it for you , or you can come up to Montery and I can show you a good time."

Ugh.

In addition, the client's supplied assets piecemeal over 5 weeks now, continues to delay supplying me with the last few assets and I'm a little concerned about the potential feedback, as he keeps saying he's sent me the missing assets which is incorrect. 

My goal is to wrap this up ASAP.  Once (if?) this happens, should bother writing a truthful (but 100% professional) client review?  If he should give me a bad review, might the Upwork team consider the source (and the inappropriate comment) in deciding whether to let it remain on my profile?

Thanks all!

If it were me, I'd forget about wrapping anything up after an inappropriate comment like that. I would report him, and then summarily close the contract. Yuk.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
3 of 24

I agree with Virginia.  Dump him and report him.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
4 of 24

If it were me, I'd forget about wrapping anything up after an inappropriate comment like that. I would report him, and then summarily close the contract. Yuk.

I would do the same.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 24

OK, maybe I am simply a bit more robust (I was educated at a boy's school and I live in Italy. Enough said) but I would simply ignore such a comment. Is it "inappropriate" in the setting it was used? Yes, of course it is. But some people just haven't got such refined manners, he may have thought it was funny, and (again, personally) I'd have rolled my eyes and would NOT have reacted to it either way. I believe in "benefit of the doubt" and he may have meant dinner and take you out on his yacht.

It's not (as such) against the terms of service and (again personally) I don't think it was offensive enough (just inappropriate) to make a fuss over.

I'd calmly and politely tell him that the revised price is XXX.XX due to the tripling of content and you're happy to to complete the work at prize X or allow him to find a different freelancer to do it at his prize and walk away.

No, Upwork will not interfere with feedback left unless the feedback itself is inappropriate.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 24

Not every client is mean to work with every freelancer.

That's okay.

There are things that I would regard as inappropriate, and would be cause for me to stop working with a client as soon as possible, which you would not even notice.

Highlighted
Community Guru
7 of 24

@Preston H wrote:

Not every client is mean to work with every freelancer.

That's okay.

There are things that I would regard as inappropriate, and would be cause for me to stop working with a client as soon as possible, which you would not even notice.

This is just my opinion, but hints at dating in the client-freelancer relationship are always inappropriate. So is "joking" (if that's what it was, but that doesn't really have bearing) that you'll give a freelancer sex instead of payment for an agreed-upon job. That's the hint, right? Unless I'm really out of the loop... Smiley Happy

I believe this is reportable no matter what you or someone else may or may not notice. Just my four ha'pennies. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 24

re: "I believe this is reportable no matter"

You appear to be referencing the original poster's comments.

I was not.

I was only making a general observation.

Highlighted
Community Guru
9 of 24

@Preston H wrote:

re: "I believe this is reportable no matter"

You appear to be referencing the original poster's comments.

I was not.

I was only making a general observation.

I see.

Weirdly enough, since this was a reply to the OP's issue I assumed that was what you were talking about. Smiley Tongue

No worries.

Highlighted
Angie C Member Since: Jan 7, 2019
10 of 24
My lack of “robustness” is not up for debate. Jeez.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS