cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficult client; also inappropriate (?)

Highlighted
Angie C Member Since: Jan 7, 2019
11 of 24
But i’d be forfeiting payment I’ve earned, correct?
Highlighted
Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
12 of 24

@Angie C wrote:
But i’d be forfeiting payment I’ve earned, correct?

Hopefully someone will come along to correct me if I'm wrong, but since you had an initial fixed price, that may be about what you can expect out of this and regardless of the client's bait-and-switch, you won't have much leverage to argue the point.

Personally I'd just close out and take the loss, and next time I'd asked to see the doc in order to okay the amount before accepting the job. It's not so much that you'd be forfeting payment you earned. I realize this is slippery on the client's part, but you initially only expected to earm X amount in a fixed price.

I'd try to close this out, being polite and not answering him at all on the "points" (yuck) he brought up, or anything else at all. Simply, "Thank you for getting in contact with me. If there's nothing else you'd like, let's close this project. If you do require additional work, please release a new milestone. Thanks."

Or something to that effect.

Just what I would personally do. 

Highlighted
13 of 24
I really appreciate and agree with your thoughts. I’ll be traveling next week; if the client ignores clear requests to wrap this up I’ll use the departure date as my personal deadline.
Highlighted
Jacqueline J Member Since: May 10, 2018
BEST ANSWER
14 of 24

First off - eww, gross.

Since you're in the home stretch of the job (hopefully), I wouldn't cancel the contract, but I would report him. 

Regarding your feedback question, the only way to keep feedback off your profile is to request removal. You have to be Top Rated and you can only request removal once every 3 months.

I know there are varied opinions about leaving negative feedback - I leave detailed feedback when I have negative client experiences. The only people reading the reviews are other freelancers, so I want to make sure people can see when a client is difficult to work with.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
15 of 24
Thank you. Your suggestion is what I’m inclined to do: finish and close out as soon as possible. I would like the money from the 2nd milestone. However, I’m not yet top rated so I can’t have feedback removed. I’m a few weeks away it seems.
Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
16 of 24

Hi Angie,

If you haven't already, feel free to click on the gear icon that appears next to the time stamp in messages and report a message as inappropriate. I'll also follow up with the team regarding your report and they'll review it.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
17 of 24

I'd wait with reporting until the contract is closed and the client is no longer able to leave feedback. . (for the obvious reasons.)

Highlighted
18 of 24

That's my gut feeling as well.

Highlighted
19 of 24

Also, my quote from his email in my original post here has been removed per Community Guidelines which is... surprising.  I guess someone certainly did consider what he said inappropriate to the level I couldn't quote it (?)

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
20 of 24

Angie -

Fortunately your quote was captured in a later quote by another poster so it could still be checked.

It is not for you to have to intuit what the client meant in terms of whether he is just awkward, trying to be funny or intentionally trying to misuse what he believes is some position of authority as a client. I've worked for many years in corporations as someone in charge of departments full people of both genders.  A zero tolerance policy is the only thing I think works. Anything else creates a slippery slope of acceptability and when you have to sort through that, it's already too late. This isn't Tinder or Match.com, etc. When you are in a buyer/seller, client/freelancer, boss/subordinate type of role, the only acceptable behavior is to keep your eyes on the road. 

I am not suggesting that this client should go to jail, but even if he had the most innocent of intentions here, it is still stupid and inappropriate. That you have to mind your comments to him in order to ensure payment and a fair review, absolutely !@#$es me off. However, it is a double-blind review process and I would therefore use that to create for him an embarrassing call-out that other freelancers will see at least. 

I have not read about this sort of things on this forum before so I hope this is isolated rather than people just not wanting to say something. I fear the latter though. Perhaps others in similar situations will see Angie's post and decide to take action. There is already enough business related nonsense that both freelancers and clients have to deal with. Save the tolerance and compromise for those situations. This kind though? Zero tolerance. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS